Monday, October 09, 2023

I wish I had other words

Hard.

Tough. 

Exhausting.

Life is just A LOT

How is it that I can say in one breath This child hasn't been giving me many problems and then as if, caught by the wind, that child spins on his or her heels and decides to be my chief problem?

Parenting is NOT for the faint of heart.

I truly believe the Lord called us on this journey. And yet, I must admit. There is a great part of me that wonders if I, a certified high school teacher and coach who grew up in chaos of gymnasiums cannot figure out how to get my child to adulthood positively ....

... how does it get done?

But, there are beautiful things going on right now.

The last two days have brought a crispness to the air. Fall is coming! Am I excited? I'm not sure. I don't like the real, brutal cold. But we, here in the mountains of East TN don't get the real brutal cold often. 

 
And then last night ... for the first time in EIGHT YEARS (don't ask me how that much time goes by when you only live four hours away from them), John and I had the incredible privilege of sitting down with my cousin Josh and his wife and talking like we used to, many moon ago ....
 
Josh and Sarah lived across the street from us in Franklin, Kentucky for two years. Those years were 2001-2003. In 2003, we would be moving to Minnesota for medical school. Sarah was pregnant with their oldest son, Tyler (who is now a Sophomore at my alma matter -- Western Kentucky University!) Today, they have two boys followed by two girls. (Sounds familiar?)
 
Oh how quickly we were back in step. Such familiarity. Such comfort. Just that couple that "get us." Man, have I missed them. Man was seeing them like a balm to my soul. Hard to explain. Just ... perfect. 
 
So many of our friends are seeing the ending of their marriage. But Josh and Sarah are with us. Both nearly 25 years and going ... and going ...
 
It helps with the other hard news in our world. A war with between Hamas and Israel was launched over the weekend.
 
Jesus! Come back soon!

 

No comments: