Monday, October 26, 2020

Wendi's Covid Musings

 

I cycle through COVID grief stages rapidly. Some days I am all about acceptance. Some days I am thankful for the downtime it has given me. Other hours I am angry. Frustrated. Aghast. 

And sometimes, all I can do is plop down in the middle of my chickens and have a good cry.

John has told me: "Wendi, stop trying to convince people of anything. They won't listen."

And I know he's right.

But after I posted the other day about what my husband was seeing in the ER, I had two people tell me I was lying. One threatened to call the head of our community's hospital to report a wife giving fake numbers.

I am not joking. That really happened.

A few others replied vehemently that they would never wear a mask. That people can't take their freedoms.

One person said: "Masks only work if you HAVE the virus."

If that is true, then aren't they still helpful?

Trust me. My husband is seeing patients knowingly going out when they have the virus. And some unknowingly going out when they have the virus.

It is so hard when you are witnessing something firsthand and people:

A. Don't respect you

B. Don't believe you

C. Don't care

D. Think they know better

Today I am cycling through

M

A

D

!

I'm just MAD! I'm mad because my husband has dedicated his life to medicine. He was in school

F

O

R

E

V

E

R

to help you. When your life is on the line, you go to him. Friends call and text us daily or weekly for advice, suggestions, questions ...

... and yet they think that wearing a mask is too hard.

... they think that doctors are making up numbers.

... or falsifying death certificates.

... or blowing this out of proportion.

Folks, have you MET my husband? He is the calmest, most chill guy ever. We were once told at the title office that we didn't own the house we had lived in. That there was an error. And while I was running in and out of the bathroom, he stood there not sweating a lick. Another time we were in Mozambique and could not get through the border. Some stranger took our passports and was "saying" he was getting them stamped for us, and we had no idea if it was accurate or not, and I am nearly hyperventilating and he is CHILL.

He's a chill guy.

So if he says: "We need to be concerned"? If he says "We need to wear a mask"?

Again: I'm preaching to the choir. Those that want to listen, listen. And those that don't, don't. Most people who leave comments, are people that agree. And so the comments are nice. But when people get a hold of what I write that don't know me personally, they let their venom fly.

But it honestly makes me SO SAD. It is one of the hardest things we have had to face as a couple and a family in our entire married lives. (Harder than infertility? At least equal I will tell you what.)

I cannot tell you how it feels to know my husband is putting himself on the line to save people and I pass people who don't have masks on and who say: "No one can tell me what to do."

I want to say: "Then when you are dying, do NOT go into the Emergency Room and put my husband in jeopardy!!!!!"

He gets patients dying who say: "I didn't think this was real. I didn't wear a mask. I went out when I knew I had this." 

And all he can do is treat them, the same as everyone else.

Today I'm angry.

Angry.

Angry.

People say this is political. It is not. Not for us. There is nothing political about a virus sweeping through your hospital and your husband going in each day to fight it.

I won't be posting on Facebook ANYMORE. Posts will only come on my Blog. And on my own personal Blog, I will share my personal feelings. 

If you don't have something nice to say, PLEASE don't say it. Unless you are personally fighting this war in the emergency room, you DO NOT KNOW. You just don't. Doctor's offices don't see the same thing he is seeing. No one does unless they see people coming in dying.

We have had four friends nearly die from this. Their recovery is STILL ongoing and may be ongoing for their entire life.

My husband is risking his life everyday.

And you want to say you don't have to wear a STUPID LITTLE MASK.

Stop being selfish.

It costs you nothing to be socially distant and TRY to protect yourself or others. Do it for my husband. Trust me. He isn't blowing anything out of proportion. He is calling it exactly like it IS. Like it really IS. Like things really ARE. What he is really seeing.

Not every ER looks like his. That's why this needs to be managed at the local level. Big ER's can often absorb what is happening. Tiny ER's don't get as much volume. But ER's the size of his are in a bad place. Not all. Pay attention to how COVID is going WHERE YOU LIVE.

And please think of me and my children and the husband going to work each day to fight this. If he gets this, he is paid hourly. He won't get paid if he has to be home for weeks recovering. Or if he gets very sick. Or even dies.

That's all I have.

Maybe tomorrow I will cycle through acceptance.

But not today.

6 comments:

animalcrackerkat said...

Hey, Wendi! I just wanted to drop in and leave a nice comment. I know that’s not always my forte. In fact, I’d like to apologize to you. I don’t know what specifically I’ve said that hurt your feelings, but I’m sure I have. As I’m getting older and raising my own mini me children, I’m seeing myself more clearly... my aspie traits. I’m sorry for being insensitive to you. I’m sorry for being so set on my opinion that I didn’t hear yours. I’m sorry for being more focused on being right than being kind.

And also, thank you. For answering me and others with gentleness when it would have been easier to snap back. For having patience enough to keep trying, when you’re met with ignorance or foolishness. For sharing your chill and gentle husband with the world. I was deeply grateful to have a doctor I could trust with my children for 2 years. Thank you for sharing your journey with the rest of us, too! I always wanted to be close friends with you, have bonds like you and Rebecca do... Thanks for being light and salt. May God bless your family and surround you with His Peace.

Constance Sorgen said...

Dear Wendy
You and your family will be in my prayers. Thank you for all you and your family are doing to get all of us through this crazy. Please know that you are making a difference every day; with John’s job, your kind demeanor, your children’s respectful behavior and probably in so many more ways. You have a good heart and I am sure you share it every day in many ways. My mom always said you can bring a horse to water but you can’t make him drink. Please keep this in mind as you share your ministry, wisdom can be shared but it’s not always absorbed. With 20+ years in education I assure you this is true. Find joy in each day as you can and surround yourself with family. (I am jealous of your farm but more that you have your family so close.) Please keep being the blessing you are to so many and please don’t get disheartened. Rath Dé Ort

AW said...

Dearest friend. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with so much unkindness. There will always be keyboard warriors out there that are cruel and rude online...saying things they wouldn't ever have the courage to say in person. It might be too late, but there is a setting that will allow people to read your posts, but can only comment if they are on your friend list. When I post something global and possibly controversial, it helps. I don't need to hear from rude strangers that just demoralize my senses. Now that doesn't stop some of my rude friends and family from posting, but I'm learning to block them out. Some of them I defriend, although I try to avoid that. Finally, I have learned that a couple of my friends who always seemed rude to me, are actually on the spectrum. They state their thoughts very bluntly and it always hurt my feelings. But knowing they're on the spectrum now helps me understand the lack of filters and compassion they struggle with on the daily. Doesn't necessarily FIX the situation, but helps me understand them better and I can give them grace.

Finally, I love you. You and John are some of the BEST people I know and I wish so badly we could have close community with you. You Kits are something special. Needed in this world. For those of us who matter, we appreciate your sacrifice and love y'all! XOXOX! - Andi

Unknown said...

Wendi, I empathize. I live in a part of Southern California that does not believe in science. I am essential medical personnel in that the factory I run manufactures reagent systems that give docs like John test results to guide patient care. I still brought home SARS-COV-2 and infected my family. Kenny and I were sick for more than six weeks. I self diagnose with long Covid. And the kids? Let’s not touch that ball of worry. We wear our masks on elks in the neighborhood. Neighbors shame us. We bubble as the Cicero Tribe with me as the go-outer. This is real. John is selfless.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I feel you friend.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thank you Andi. Thank you Katherine. I needed this.