Monday, October 12, 2020

Purposeful



In our home, I am striving to make the things that I hang on our walls purposeful. I want what we see each day to be meaningful. To resonate. To have meaning. I am not interested in random art work to cover a wall. For one thing: open floor plans leave very few walls. But more than that ... why is it there? What does it mean to you? How does it make you feel? 

Our family loves birds. To be more succinct with that statement I should say that John and Abigail love birds. Sidge loves all animals so because birds are an animal, he loves them. Isaac and I really don’t find much interest in them. And Hannah is still a creature of her own. 

My friend Joia has been dabbling more and more in art so I commissioned her to draw some pictures of birds that we see on our farm regularly that we love. She did the six birds on the right in the picture above. 

The huge poster is a gift for John at Christmas, but to be honest, Abigail has commandeered it. It features every single bird native to North America! 

She wanted to have all of these birds displayed in a place she could see and refer to them regularly so we chose a spot by her second floor bunk bed. 

John and I realized something yesterday. This is the longest we’ve ever lived in one place since we were married in 1998 by a full year!

Bowling Green, Kentucky (first year of marriage)
Franklin, Kentucky (4 years)
Rochester, Minnesota (4 years) 
Elgin Air Force Base (3 years) 
Turkey (2 years)
Azores (2 years) 
Spring Hill, TN (1 year)

We’ve been here since 2015!!!

I am so happy with how the pictures all turned out!!! I love having a home that we will live in for a very long time. 

No comments: