Saturday, February 22, 2020

Homeschooling: An Idea

Abigail and her friend Remi worked on a meal completely on their own. In fact, I was out shoveling dirt and came in to find them already halfway done!
Here's the meal they made! It was delicious!
Part of the advantage of homeschooling, is being able to teach the things that aren't taught that much anymore. Like Home Ec. How many kids get that nowadays? 

Take cooking for example. No one ever really taught me to cook. I think most kids don't learn. Or don't learn much. Unless they really love it and seek it out. (Like my niece Ana. She enjoys it so she does a lot of it.) 

But Abigail has really been wanting to learn how to cook. I coupled this fact with the fact that lunch in our house has always been a challenge for me. It's our least healthy meal of the day and so challenging to figure out what to make. 

We have also been trying to add more fruits and vegetables to the kids' diets. In fact, they have a chart they have to fill out each day to keep up on their fruit/vegetable intake. 

I decided to go back to our Blue Apron/Hello Fresh meals. I'm doing three meals a week for two people each time. Abigail is making the meal entirely by herself! Then we are dividing it by four and serving it to the four kiddos for lunch. It solves multiple "problems." 

  • Abigail is learning to cook. 
  • We are getting some foods we don't normally eat (seafood!)
  • Lunch is taken care of three times a week. 
  • Get new ideas for foods to eat in our house. 
  • Lessen my shopping/recipe looking

We are only doing meals with meat we don't have here on our farm: beef or fish mostly. We are also doing vegetarian meals. 

(And yes, I'd like to do this with my boys at some point too. I think it's very important for them to learn too, but they aren't currently showing a desire so it's a little harder to get the right motivation.) 

Just wanted to pass along this idea. There are many coupons out there if you want to give this a try. (I have some right now!) The meals run approximately $20 a meal (or $60 for the three meals.) While this seems a bit expensive, I actually find that the bullets above make it worth it for us!

1 comment:

Claire said...

It's a great chance to be able to go to school at home