Wednesday, November 27, 2019

We Bought a Farm: Azores Blackberry Fig Mead

From JB:
7 years in the making!
This is my Azorean Blackberry Fig Mead.
This was created on 28 August 2012 while I was in the Air Force stationed in the Azores. 
I have carefully kept these bottles safe through multiple moves across the globe, testing one every 6-12 months. 
I am really proud of how this fermentation has developed.
Okay, to be technically correct, a mead is a honey wine. When fruit is added to mead, it is then called a melomel. So this concoction should be called a Blackberry Fig Melomel, but few people know what a mead is, let alone a melomel.
Ingredients:
1 Gallon Azorean Raw Honey
1 Gallon Figs, mostly skinned, from my garden
1 Pint Azorean Blackberries, from my garden wall
4 Gallons Water
The Azores are a 9-island archipelago in the mid-Atlantic which “belongs” to Portugal. 
The Azorean BlackBerry is a very rare species (Rubus hochstetterorum) only found in the Azores.







No comments: