Friday, April 12, 2019

Do You Need a “Snow” Day?


Like much of the country, our little farm here in East Tennessee saw record-breaking cold and snow during the month of January. And even though I’m a homeschool mom, I celebrated with many of you when our activities were canceled and we were forced to stay home, hunker down, and lay low.

(I must be honest. In my short career as a farmer, I’ve learned that the animals on our farm still need water and food when the weather is bad. I’ve come to understand that farming does notshut down for the cold. But while we still had to get out and bucket sustenance to our chickens and ducks and sheep, the snow and cold did put a stop to our nonessential farm chores.)
Our family has tight rules in place that limit our outside activities so we can be centered on our life here in East Tennessee. But I still find that being a mom of four children means the words tired and busy constantly tumble out of my mouth. As we sat on the couch during this time of snow, the fire in our woodstove blazing and blankets tucked around our legs as we watched movies and drank hot cocoa, I couldn’t help but think, Why does it take God shutting down the town with snow for me to shut myself down and rest? Why does it take an act of God for us to just stop?
To read the rest of my post, please jump over to the Glorious Table by clicking here.

No comments: