Sunday, March 17, 2019

We Bought a Farm: Is there anything better on a farm then spring?

 "In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt."


I didn't grow up with seasons.

In fact, the only reason I knew what fall was was because we would always say "We go back to school in the fall."

I didn't know what spring cleaning really was. It was always hot in Florida. There was no real difference between winter and spring in my mind.

But now?

There is so much about farming that I don't get. So many things I don't know. So many experiences I've never had. 

But Spring?

I am getting Spring.

I am getting what it feels like after you have seen your land under ice and rain and frost and ice for months on end to see it emerge. 

If you think you can feel it in the air in the suburbs, you cant imagine what it feels like on fields of brown as they turn to green.



There's a feeling in the air that we have to get ready. You feel the harder work coming. You are thankful for the short winter nights that you hunkered down in front of your wood stove because you know there's about to be a lot of grass and a lot of animals and plants and that there will be tons of work everyday.

Lots of seeds and dirt and planting and the flowers and green ... 

I can't imagine doing anything other than what I am doing right now,


No comments: