Sunday, March 10, 2019

We Bought a Farm: Another Day, Another Farm Injury

 "Injuries are our best teachers."

I wish I didn't have another bruise to show you.

But I do.

In order to understand what happened to me, you have to understand what cattle panels are. 

Since I didn't know what they were before I became a farmHER, you may not either. So here is a picture of what cattle panels looks like:


We have one little sheep (whose name is Patience ironically enough) that kept jumping our lines so many times, we had to put her in our "arena." (When her babies are old enough, she'll have to be processed as we can't afford for her to teach other sheep how to jump paddock.) The arena is a fenced in area on our farm that we have separated into six sections using ... 

cattle panel. 

I was over in the arena, moving Patience and her twins to a new section. They were successfully moved, and it was time to move her waterer. 

This is the moment that I wish the Holy Spirit would either talk faster (to keep up with how fast I am moving) or simply knock me upside the head so I definitely listen to his voice.

I heard that still small voice say, "Wendi. Don't go that way. It's too muddy and you are carrying a big watering tub that looks like this:


But I went. And I fell. My right arm got caught on one side of the cattle panel, and my whole body got caught on the other side of the cattle panel. 

I fell. The water splashed all over me. (And yes, it was cold!) And I laid on the ground for a solid 1-2 minutes trying to determine if I had broken anything. It hurt sooooo badly.

I knew it would bruise.

And it did.

I've decided that with farming comes more opportunity for injury. And then based on how nimble or young (or smart!) you are, you see how many injuries you get. 

Here's to hoping the rest of the month is bruise-free,

 

No comments: