Friday, July 04, 2014

Scrubby meets Cat

We usually cut Scrubs' nails ourselves. JB and I do it together. I hold a jar of peanut butter and a spoon and let him eat peanut butter to oblivion while JB trims the nails.

But those tools are packed in a big box somewhere. (Which we still do not have a solid word about!) And his nails were getting really long.

So following a recommendation from a wonderful lady I met at the community pool, I took Scrubs to the house of a local woman to get a good bath and his nails clipped.

As we walked in the house, I let Scrubs off his leash and began pleasantries with the dog groomer. Mid conversation she stopped and said, "How is he with cats?"

At that I heard a loud hiss. Scrubs was hopping from one side of the living room to the other. Cat was hissing louder and louder -- throwing his paw in Scrubs' direction.

"Ummmm ... he's never met one!" I nearly yelled as she went diving for cat and I tried to catch by incredibly nimble-when-he-wants-to-be-oaf-of-a-dog.

Scrubs has never met a cat. When he was a pup, I wanted to socialize him with cats as we did with dogs. But I didn't know a single person with a cat. So he never met a cat. In the Azores, there were tons of strays. Quite a few lived in our yard I think. But Scrubs isn't the sharpest dog there is, and he was outsmarted by those cats time and time again.

So needless to say, I was very happy that he did not eat the cat in the groomer's living room today. It was quite a scene. That cat told Scrubs who was boss and hissed louder than I have ever heard. She defended herself quite nicely.

And Scrubs stayed on leash after that!

No comments: