Saturday, November 24, 2012

I don't shop

I don't shop. Not usually anyways. Never really spend money. If I need something, I run into Old Navy or Target and manage a fast purchase of ten dollars or less.

And my wardrobe has been showing for it.

I have been wanting to go to downtown Angra (the only "big city" on the island) for quite some time. (To window shop was my initial plan.) 



But then, recently, with looks through my closet, it became increasingly clear to me that my lack of shopping was effecting my desire to get dressed each morning. I had sporty. But I didn't have anything a little dressy. I didn't have anything like this:


So, since Linda loves to shop and loves downtown, I thought her visit to the island was a perfect opportunity to head downtown and do a little shopping. I invited Carla, and Connie, and another new friend Sonia. Here we are pictured below (with Linda behind the lens, as if often the case):


And then I started trying on clothes ... clothes, mind you, I would have NEVER tried on or even picked up off the rack if friends weren't outside the dressing room curtain handing them to me. Connie was directly in charge of me not wimping out of buying anything due to price or  any other excuse I could make up. Between her and my four lady friends, I left one very cool store with about a half dozen different outfits. (Here I am, below, being informed of how to properly wear my boots over tights):


In the end, I used Linda as my judge. She is not afraid to spend appropriate amount of money on good clothes. So I asked her, with each piece, of what was being asked was extravagant. In general, the store was very reasonably priced, and while each piece was a bit more than I was used to paying, the quality was obvious in all of the pieces.

The truth? I spent more at the one store, in one hour, then I have spent shopping as an adult in my entire life. More than I spend in a year for sure. It was so wonderful knowing that I would go home to a husband who would say, "Good for you!" (He is constantly telling me that I need to buy a few nice things to wear now and then). I was especially thinking of my public speaking and having a few nice things to wear when I speak. (I have a talk coming up when I go home to America for Christmas.)

I will try to put up some snaps of the completed outfits later today when I finally getting around to putting each of them on and showing them to JB. For now, here are some closing photos of our time in Angra:

 window shopping

 enjoying the delightful cobblestone streets and unique stops

eating Chinese food! Really! How excited was I about this! 

Ice cream time! 

 Enjoying the beautiful city of Angra.

8 comments:

nakedcarlyart said...

that is so fun! Yay for you. I am not uber into shopping, but I did get more into fun cute clothing when I lived in England. You look lovely!

animalcrackerkat said...

Good for you! I'm the same way. I just ordered a fresh batch of the same t shirts I always wear from Kohls. Next time you go to Angra for shopping, take me along?

Joy Z said...

Good for you! I'm not much into shopping either and Vic usually has to remind me that it's ok to spend the money. I'm looking forward to seeing all your outifts!

TAV said...

I'm happy for you, Wendi! You deserve it. I'm the same way but it's nice to get some cute clothes once in a while! Did you have any trouble with the sizing? I can't wait to see pics of the new outfits!

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

That is great Wendi! Looks like a fun day and I would love to have a shopping buddy and a day out with girlfriends.

jenicini said...

Wow, what a cool downtown area! I'm glad you shopped and had someone who you could trust to tell you that it was reasonable. I love having clothes, but I hate shopping. I hardly buy anything now except basics to get me by...aka the same shirt in like ten colors. Can't wait to see your new clothes!

Brittny said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! I know exactly what you mean about hating everything in your closet. At first you didn't notice because you don't care. It's all going to be sweat in, spit up on, pooped on, wet, gross, so why bother caring. Then one day you wake up and realize that you have nothing to wear and you NEED something now. Then you wish that you had listened to your mom all those times she offered to buy you something and you turned her down because you didn't think you would ever need it. And that's when you call Kara Flatau and ask Miss Fashionista herself if she can help. But since we no longer live in the same town/state/country, I'm glad that you had 4 women to help you and MAKE you buy some new clothes! Can't wait to see the pics!!!

Joia said...

Oohhh... can't wait to see the new outfits! Good for you! =)