Sunday, June 10, 2012

For Wendi

I'm adjusting to a new life here. Kristy is a wonderful gal, and she's already introduced me to some of her friends. But there's a part of me that just doesn't want to make any other friends. Kristy is enough. I already knew her. No new friends. My heart just can't take it.

I know this isn't reasonable. I know I will eventually, semi-willingly give in and bond with new people. But for now, I'm not in a hurry.

Stebb's wrote this post on her blog saying good bye to me. She's still in Turkey even though nearly all of the people she came in with are long gone now. I used to think being the first one out would be hard. I think being th last one out is way harder. I wish I could bring the people I loved in Kentucky, in Minnesota, at Eglin, in Turkey, here with me so that I didn't have to start over.

My mind knows that all these relationships are good. That we have people we know and love all over the country and the world to visit and see again in the future.

But in the meantime, I know I'll need people here too. And that scares me. Intimidates me.

I don't want to start over.

2 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

I know our situation is less extreme than yours, but being permanent residents of Rochester has a similar feeling except that you are always the one staying. Everyone is transient (or at least everyone that it's easy to make friends with...resident and fellow's wives). At times I have asked myself how much effort I should keep putting into friendships that will eventually result in tough goodbyes but I have come to realize that I would miss out on some very big 'God moments' and wonderful girls if I don't!

Faith said...

I don't know how you do it either. I lose friends constantly. I live in a military town, so everyone leaves eventually. When we moved here 5 years ago, I struggled to want to make friends - then I did. Most have moved. It's tough. And I cannot imagine doing it while also adjusting myself to a new place, over and over again. It is admirable. If anyone can do this, it is you!