Wednesday, December 12, 2018

The Glorious Table: Play for Christ


I had the great honor of writing another post for The Glorious Table! Enjoy!

Play for Christ By: Wendi Kitsteiner


While my family was living on a tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic (my husband was in the Air Force at the time, and we were stationed there), my two little boys started taking tennis lessons. They were four and five. Very little. But we thought it was a good opportunity.
We wanted them to work on hand-eye-coordination and listening skills and following instructions and waiting for their turn. We were planning to homeschool the following year, and we planned to incorporate a sport and a musical instrument into our curriculum.
Although, I am a former college basketball player, I was hesitant to get my kids involved in athletics too young. I attended some soccer and t-ball games for five-year-olds, and it seemed like a lot of effort for little return. So many practices. So many games. Uniforms and cleats. Snack requirements. And then, during the game, it seemed the kids were more interested in picking flowers or playing with their friends on the sidelines than they were about kicking a ball.
Then I heard about tennis lessons. We loved the idea. No games. No parents yelling from the stands. No being out multiple nights a week. Instead, just two one-hour lessons a week. Isaac and Elijah were both in the same group. Five Portuguese kids and my boys. A Portuguese coach who could speak decent English. It sounded perfect.
To read the rest of this article, please jump over to the post at THE GLORIOUS TABLE. 

No comments: