Sunday, December 02, 2018

Special people that help me educate

"Teachers have three loves: love of learning, love of learners, and the love of bringing the first two loves together." Scott Hayden

This quote above makes me think of some key people in the lives of my children. While I am a homeschool mom, I must be honest ... there is no way I could homeschool these for people all by myself. 

I am reliant upon many people who come into my children's lives to help me in the journey to educate my little people. 

People like my cousin's wife, Hannah, who is sharing the load with me this year.

People like the fellow moms who teach my children in our homeschool co-op. My friend Kristin who cried with me as my Abigail came out of her shell. My friend Kim who has taught my boys health and now math. My friend Kymberly who has shared her love of geography. And many, many more.

Ballet teachers. Gymnastics teachers. Piano teachers. Karate instructors. Tennis.

People like my mother-in-law, Mary, who comes over to our house or invites the kiddos to her -- with different art projects and cooking assignments ready-to-go. 

My father-in-law, Ray, who takes any opportunity to illustrate how to change oil in a lawn-mower or put a nail into a wall or discuss the stars we see so clearly at night here on the farm. 

And of course people like my husband who is continually educating our quad of children down to the one hour of reading he does with them every evening.

My friend, Anni, is another gift. She is a math teacher to deaf students, but you can tell that she loves all children no matter their ability and that it isn't just math that brings her joy. She took it upon herself to get fabric for my kiddos so that they could make their siblings a present for Christmas. Check out Hannah sewing a pillowcase for her sister below. (FYI: This is something I could never teach my kiddos.) 


Here is the finished project which is hidden deep underneath my bed. (It's ballerinas if you can't tell from the photo): 


And here is Sidge creating a Star Wars pillowcase for his brother. (Anni may have said: "Where is the Starship Enterprise?" when discussing Star Wars with Sidge, but we won't hold this against her.) 



Isaac also made a pillow case for Sidge, and Abigail is working on a big blanket that requires tying pieces of fabric to give Hannah for her Christmas present.

God is so cool to bring these people into our lives. Community truly makes lives so rich. 

Thank you special people.

1 comment:

islandgal said...

I am over-the-moon that Anni is teaching your kids to sew.
I taught myself to sew at a very early age, and it's a skill and art that can develop on so many levels. Look at how clever she is to steer them toward making gifts that suit their brother's and sister's passions! And all through the sewing process they are striving to please someone else, a lesson well learned.

As Anni is proving, sewing for the home is a great project.
When girls can make their own duvet covers and design their clothes and costumes, and boys can design the proper backpack or hunting vest or tent, and stitch it up, it opens a huge world of independence.

But,this doesn't get passed down by just any teacher! Anni is very dear, and talented, and has a special, wonderful way about her. No wonder they love to learn from her. I loved meeting her (love those fabulous soaps!!) and you all are blessed she and others like Jacob, and Hannah and Eddie and the resident Grandparents are there to a homeschool education so unique.
OX Aunt Betsy