Friday, December 28, 2018

Rules for a Slower Life

"Simplify: A slower pace of life can give you more time for what truly matters." 


My family left the hustle and bustle of American civilization in 2010. We didn’t move back to the States until 2014. When we left for the Middle East, I owned a Razr flip phone. (Smartphones weren’t yet a required appendage.)
It was incredibly eerie when we stepped back on American soil in 2014. Everyone had these tiny screens attached to the palms of their hands or pulled up in front of their faces. Every place I went, people asked if they could text me. When I told them I didn’t have a cell phone, they looked at me with confused expressions. I had to practically beg my mother-in-law to let me drive without a phone in the car with me. (I had done this my whole life. Why was it suddenly unsafe?)
When we finally bit the bullet and entered a cell phone store to get our own phones, the lady working there looked completely dumbfounded when my husband and I explained that these would be our first smartphones. “What? Were you missionaries or something?”
No, but our life sure was remote.
In 2010 we moved halfway across the world with our two toddler sons and our Dalmatian. My husband was stationed as a military physician on Incirlik Air Base in Turkey, just a short distance from the Syrian border.
To read the rest of this post, jump over to THE GLORIOUS TABLE. 
 

1 comment:

TAV said...

LOVE THIS x 1000! So very true. I have been so much happier being more mindful, present and less "busy," just saying "no, that's too much" sometimes.