Monday, December 24, 2018

My Two-Item Bucket List

"If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves." Thomas Edison 

I don't have a lot of dreams. I never really did. I wanted to be a mom. I wanted to follow the Lord. That's really about it. I grew up without a lot of money. I never dreamed of traveling the world or doing all kinds of money-requiring things. 

But there were two things that I had always wanted to do. 

(1) I had always wanted to learn a language. 

So in 2010 we moved to Turkey, and I decided to dive into Turkish. I definitely learned the language -- although I am far from even sort of proficient at it. I even stopped studying it for a number of years. But when our Turkish wwoofer, Duygu, came to the farm, I was amazed at how easy it all came back to me. Since she left last year, I have been studying Turkish every single day on Duolingo and trying to keep my skills up. While I have a long way to go, I am really proud of what I've accomplished with learning this language. 

(2) And I had always wanted to play the piano. Specifically I had wanted to be able to sit down and play Christmas carols for my family. When the kids started taking piano lessons in 2015, JB suggested I take lessons too. The teacher was already coming to our house. Go for it! While I consider quitting every week since I really don't have time for this, I've stuck with it, and this year I was able to play my first real Christmas carol:



What's on your "bucket list"? I know it seems like we don't have time for it, but I encourage you to give it a try. Why can't a mom with four kids who lives on a farm speak Turkish and play the piano?!

 

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Bravo!
And such pretty hands on the keys! Tell yourself 'good job' in Turkish!
Love, Aunt Betsy