Sunday, February 15, 2015

My sister!


On Friday I had the incredible and amazing opportunity to visit my sister at her convent in Knoxville.

For those of you who know me well, you know of this friend. And you probably know of how this protestant gal (i.e., me!) came to have one of her very best friends in the whole world be a nun.

Her life is one of privacy so I can't share any pictures (even though I took some) and I can't share any content of our conversations (even though there were some great ones.) What I can tell you is that she is doing absolutely fantastically. She will do her final vows in a little over a year (I will definitely be there for those!), and feels incredibly positive about her commitment to spend the rest of her life "married" to her savior.

She only gets a limited number of visitors a year, and it is always such a blessing how the other sisters take care of her (and me) while we are there. They feed us and water us and just allow us to sit and fellowship and be together.

I was especially excited because it worked out that JB and the kids could come with. They stayed for about thirty minutes and then went and killed time on our farm while I got to have one-on-one time with my sister. Then they came to back to pick me up. JB even brought Chik-fil-A for the sisters. While it was Friday (and they don't eat meat on Fridays) they were excited to wait until the next day to eat their sandwiches.

Six years is a long time to be friends with someone with no technology to aid your friendship. You can imagine that she has lost touch with many people. But I love the cards and letters we share. She is the godmother for all my children (in a non-catholic alternate sense), and the prayers she offers on my family's behalf are such precious gifts to me.

P.S. If you'd like to see a few pictures of our day because you know sister, please feel free to send me an email, and I'd be happy to share with you!

No comments: