Monday, August 29, 2011

Putting Others First Review



Mothers and Fathers can review a children's product. But in the end, does what we think truly matter? Whenever I review a product for kids, I make sure to let the kids do the actual reviewing.


I was not a huge fan of Chuck Swindoll's Paws & Tales: Putting Others First. I thought the animation was just okay. I thought the story was just okay. I thought the message portrayed was just okay.


But my sons, ages 2.5 and 3, thought that my assessment was way off. They loved it. How do I know? Well, firstly, they sat the whole thing: two episodes approximately 15 minutes a piece. Secondly, they asked to watch it again. And again. And again. They don't watch anything again unless they really enjoy it.


To me, their responses speak for themselves.


Here's what I did like. I liked the Biblical messages. I love that instead of watching Mickey or Diego and getting messages about animals or friendship, they are getting true messages from God's Word.


On this particular DVD, there were two episodes. The first episode "A Race Against Time" is based on Matthew 22:39 in which the lead characters, C.J. and Staci have to finish off a list of errands for Paw Paw Chuck and must decide whether or not to help someone in need. The second episode "The Hire Principle" is based on Philippians 2:3 and pins C.J. against a bully named Tiffany who is forcing fellow classmates to be her personal servants. Both episodes deal with, you got it, putting others first.

Some other high points for me? The animal were colorful. The characters were fun. The lessons were good. There are also music videos, activities, and helpful teaching resources included on the DVD.


My overall assessment? I don't think you will be blown away ... but there is a good chance your kids will be. And isn't their opinion more important?

No comments: