Wednesday, May 04, 2011

What I want the world to know about ...

... stuffing!

This is is post #4 in a series of guest blogger posts entitled, "What I want the World to Know About ____." Want to include a post of your own? Click here to find out how.


By: Ebby R.

Elizabeth (Ebby) R. is one of my very dearest friends. Not only is she the mother of our Veronica, but she has known me for longer than nearly all of my good friends. We attended the same church in Kentucky and went on our first "couples' date" probably in 1996 or 1997 to the Dove Awards. JB and I got married in 1998, and we remained incredibly close friends until we moved to Minnesota in 2003. And then, Ebby and her husband Ron, relocated to Minnesota at the same time as us. (They are stalkers!) Anyways, Ebby has an incredible testimony, incredible story, and is an incredible person. Enjoy!

I want the world to know that stuffing isn't always good.

I recently had some medical problems where I had a couple of options. 1) have a shunt placed in my head 2) have weekly spinal taps to remove excess spinal fluid 3) try to see if weight loss would help. I decided to go with prescription medication and weight loss.

In three months I lost 37 pounds. I have 20 more pounds to go. I am feeling good. I like the way my clothes are fitting better (I went shopping for new clothes), and my head is much better. The problem is that I had just bought 5 new bras in October. None of them fit anymore. I can't just go and buy new ones. They are expensive. So I stuff them...like a pre-teen might do. Stuffing is not good...when it starts to come out and peek out the top of your shirt.

I don't know this next one for a fact, but I have heard that putting stuffing in a turkey isn't good either. I have heard that the stuffing doesn't cook all the way and isn't good for you. I don't know this for a fact because I don't like to cook. As a matter of fact I haven't ever cooked a whole turkey. My husband did this past Christmas, but we didn't do in-the-bird-stuffing. I can't say for sure that this kind of stuffing isn't good, but I am going to vote that it isn't.

About 15 years ago my husband had to tell me he committed adultry. We are now coming up on our 20th wedding anniversary. He is my best friend, amazing father to our 4 children, awsome husband, and my knight in shinning armor. When he had to give me this news I called someone I thought very highly of to seek counsel. This person basically told me I needed to get over it. While I agree with part of this I don't agree with all of it.

The part I agree with is that we all need to forgive those who have wronged us. My husband came to me and apologized and asked for forgiveness. Even if he hadn't I am still instructed in the Bible to forgive. This wasn't the counsel I had been given.


I was basically told to stuff my feeling down inside and get over it. This is the part that I don't agree with. Stuffing your feelings helps no one...least of all you. My husband and I talked about things for quite a while. Some people need to go to a counselor. For others a friend is the best medicine. None of us need to stuff our feelings. Sometimes we just need to learn how to express them appropriately.


There you go. Three things I think are not good for stuffing. A bra, a turkey and our feelings. That is what I want the world to know.

4 comments:

Lady Di said...

I love you Ebby!!

Anonymous said...

Ebby you're amazing ! Wish you the very best ... Wendi great idea for posts - hope you're doing well !

Joy Z said...

I love it! At first I thought she was going to give us some great "bra stuffing" options. I was hopeful, because, I too, have lost weight and have bras that don't fit! I guess I won't be trying. =) I can also personally relate to her marriage story. So nice to see God faithful in yet another marriage. He really is in the business of making broken things whole again. And, it doesn't require stuffing!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you totally have a way with words!
Really gives one pause to consider how the Lord is ever present with all the "stuff" in our lives-no matter what.
You are a blessing, and your picture is beautifu:)
Mary K