Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Abigail Update

It's been a long 24-hours.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet and stick to the facts (which are blending together.)

It is now 5pm on Tuesday. The contractions started about 24-hours ago ... yesterday. And they kept going until just about 3-4 hours ago. They gave me a medication (Nifedipine for all you curious sorts like my sister-in-law Gabbi.) However, as of this morning, the contractions were still, well, contracting. They were not bad. But they weren't slowing down or getting any less intense.

During this time I was working with the Turkish OB who contracts through Base. She had me see a perinatologist who is new to the Adana area. It was the decision of these two doctors, my husband, other doctors on Base, and my NP that it is my best interest and the interest of our unborn daughter, to get me to Germany as soon as possible. In the words of the perinatologist, he does not believe I will go into labor within days but he does beleive weeks is possible and he does not believe I will make it until 38 weeks. (On a sidenote, he seemed to be a knowledgeable man but a man that did a pelvic exam that I am hoping to block out of my recent memories as soon as possible.)

While I currently have no cervical changes that indicate labor is imminent, my cervix does appear to NOT be closed as properly as it should be for 30 weeks. In addition, I am more effaced than they would like to see at 30 weeks. All of thes are signs of a possible early delivery. Of course, we make it to 38 or 39 weeks easily. We have no idea. And thus, our reason for needing to be in a place we feel more comfortable facing these possibilities at.

The Base runway is currently closed. There was some discussion as to whether I should fly commercial or on a small military flight that could land on an open spot of Incirlik's Base. While I was having contractions, they didn't know if they could get me "approved" on a commerical flight. (Could I not grimace when I had a contraction was a topic of conversation.) However, if the contractions are not active, I should be able to fly.

From the way things stand, at the moment, I will fly out commerically in the next 48-hours. JB will come as my medical attendant, and we will buy tickets for Veronica and the boys to come with me. There is still a lot up-in-the-air, but that is where we are at the moment. I am hoping, since the contractions have stopped, that I can be discharged this evening and rest and get ready to leave at home for the next short time.

I so appreciate all the notes and emails and calls. I am doing very well. Abigail is doing very well. We had the opportunity to see her on 4D ultrasound, and, well, she is looking quite a bit more filled out and Elijah-like than her previous ultrasound indicated. We are excited to meet her, but as the perinatologist said, every day we keep her in there gives her a 6% better chance then the day before. I have been given steroids to help with lung development, but we want her to stay put for a few more weeks, at least.

More updates to come. Your continued prayers are appreciated both for health for Abigail and myself as well as working out all the details of moving our family to another country for a few months. Truthfully, I don't want to go. I want to stay home, here. However, we know, without a doubt, that this is not the best place for me to deliver -- especially if I am to deliver early.

On a side note, I want to thank the Lord for the blessing of having Veroncia here. I am not sure what we would do without her. I am also so thankful for great friends who look out for things while I am gone. My dear housekeeper who JB had to comfort when he stopped at home today because she was crying so hard in worry for me and Abigail. (Her daughter recently lost a baby at about 25 weeks.)

And most importantly, to my husband. He continues to support, encourage, sustain, guide, and just plain run-the-show amidst sprinkled drama throughout my life. Five years of infertility, a less than ideal first delivery and recovery, the appendicitis, and now this. The guy runs ragged and just keeps on running -- being a fantastic husband to me and father to my boys. During his brief time at home today, he even managed to give Scrubs a bath! Whattaguy!

Blessings! I'll be in touch.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All our love and prayers, Wendi. Only the Lord knows the whole picture-His ways are perfect and what He allows has purpose! We know He will take care of you and your sweet baby girl and we expect this latest blip in things to also be filled with blessings and thanksgiving:)
love you, kiddo,
mom and dad k

Gabbs said...

Yes, I am very curious!! My next question (while talking to mom) was whether or not you were getting steroids (but I never asked her) and then I came here and I see that you did. I have a ton more questions, lol, but maybe I'll save those for email. :) But on a more serious note, I'm glad you're still doing well and that they're taking precautions, but I know with John there, you and Abigail are in good hands :) Love you guys and praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, Abigail, and the rest of the family right now. From Tracye, a blog reader in Texas

Kelly said...

Hi Wendi,
I am also a military wife and mom. I just wanted to say that I'm keeping you in my prayers for a safe trip to Germany and a healthy delivery of your baby girl. Best wishes!
Kelly

Momma, PhD said...

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Alana said...

Glad you're doing well!!!

Kendra said...

Praying for you all! Thankful that God knows what He is doing and that you are all able to travel together.