Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm no Joia

Well I am not sure how Aunt Gabbi or birthmom Bri will feel about this entry being without a photo. However, all I can say is, "I'm not Joia, okay?!"

Another true story. I just got off the phone with sod delivery company. We were expecting sod today so JB can work on the yard this weekend. Unfortunately, the guard at the gate wouldn't let them through because it didn't say "Eglin AFB" on their invoice and because we didn't answer the phone to indicate we were home. The lady was quite angry with the whole situation, and when I asked her how we could rectify the problem she said, "Well, could you punch that guard in the head for me?" Ummm, no, but we'll try to be home tomorrow during delivery so we can help get them onto base. How's that for a compromise?

Another phone call today from a glass company in town. Could JB call them back in regards to the sheet of glass they were working on for him? What? I told the man there must be some mistake. Why would my husband order a sheet of glass? He assured me there was no mistake and provided all of JB's details to prove it. Yep, that John matched my husband John. John has been working on adding a small salt water fish tank to the decor of our living room (in addition to the fresh water tank in our dining room.) From all I can figure this is where the sheet of glass comes into play? Why else would someone by glass? For a second I thought maybe I ruined some sort of surprise he was buying me, but I'm pretty sure the fish tank is the answer. I'll check when he gets home.

If you can't tell from me trying rather pitifully to handle these two phone calls, John has returned to work as of this morning. He has two days left on his Fort Walton Beach rotation which is a pretty easy and enjoyable two days to emerge back into the real world with. He had to be in at 6:30 but was told the day would end by early afternoon. We were so blessed to have John with us for the last week as we adjusted to our new adventure. He is an amazing Dad, and the fact that he is a doctor, comes in pretty handy as well.

My mother, has been a godsend. As I sit here typing, she just delivered a plate of leftover lasagna (via Joia) and leftover enchiladas (via Tiffany) and instructed me to eat. Unfortunately, my typical "get busy and don't eat" nature has kicked in which my mom thinks is absolutely ridiculous so she decided that if she makes food and puts it in front of me, I will be sure to have nourishment. This is how I have been my whole life. If my routine ever gets disrupted or my focused shifted, I have a tendency to skip meals and eat smaller portions. This even stretches to dessert as I have successfully not gorged on the abundance of delectables that have dribbled their way into our home over the last few days -- between Joia's Butterfinger dessert, Tiff's brownies, Adrienne's cookies, and the three musketeer bar that Tiffany thought I just had to have, I've had my choice of chocolate satisfaction. But even those have been eaten in moderation. That's when I know my mind is occupied on other things.

But my Mom has been the best first visitor ever. She has helped with laundry, Isaac, the dog, bottles . . . anything she can think of. When we left to go to the doctor yesterday, we returned to find our carpets vacuumed and our floors mopped. My normal rule of "you don't help with dishes" at my house has gone out the window. I don't think I have washed one dish since she has been here.

That other thing that my mind is occupied with is obviously Isaac. I don't know what a good baby is to compare him to, but it appears I have one. He is currently wanting to eat every 3.5-5 hours and when not eating, he either likes to sit in our arms, listening to us talk or lie in his bassinet with the vibrator on. Many times, we have to start rousing him around 4-4.5 hours as he is not indicating any intention of getting up to eat again, and we want to make sure he is eating enough for the day. Every feeding he takes about 1.5-3.5 ounces of food. The only times he cries is when we are changing him (he doesn't like to be exposed and cold) or when he is dirty or hungry. Otherwise, he just hangs out with us. I don't know that he will be this way forever, but this is the way he is right now, and it's been quite a pleasure!

I've also been working intently on incorporating Isaac into a family that already has one child. That one child's name starts and ends with an S and rhymes with flubs. So far, our spoiled pup has done wonderfully with Isaac. He sniffs him eagerly, his tail wagging harder and harder as he gets closer to the diaper. He knows we don't want him to lick Isaac so he will often run up and try to steal one ear lick before moving away. He sits by the crib and watches him and gets up to check on him when he cries.

What is difficult is that Scrubs' routine is shot to heck. Scrubs' pre-Isaac-life consisted of following me anywhere around the house that I go. (His favorites are to the bathroom and to do laundry.) But now there are more adults than he is used to, and we are moving in different patterns than he is accustomed to. Sometimes he just looks at me as if to say, "Could you please figure out where you are going to be so I can settle down and relax?! All this having to stay alert thing is wearing me out when you won't pick a spot." Instead of being nestled in front of my computer working most of the day, I am bopping from place to place. This has left Scrubs a little worn out. He has been a little more naughty -- stealing a disposable diaper, cloth diaper (three times), piece of paper, and my mother's entire workout gear -- however, he seems to mostly bring these to us, show us that he can still accomplish his thievery, and then walk away from them or let us take them without any fight at all. We laugh as his little eyes say, "I just want you to know that I am fully capable of stealing anything I want, but I'm too tired from moving around from room to room with you and I recognize you are busy so I'll just leave it right here to prove my point." Our dear pup.

For now, I have reached the four hour mark between feedings. Time to go snuggle with Isaac a bit. I'll work on a picture to include tomorrow.

4 comments:

kjames106 said...

His peacefulness sounds just like my son. If you have God as the head of your household, I truly believe that effects the peace in your house and baby. We are very blessed! Enjoy it, because it can last!

Anonymous said...

oh wendi, i'm so glad he is a good baby! Could you take a picture of him with his giraffe for me? That would be so cool. My photo album is getting quite full so a day or so without pictures is perfectly fine. I miss you guys so much, and i can't wait to see him and you/john again. Love you all soo much. xo Bri

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Will do Bri! Stay tuned. His giraffe is his favorite I think! :)

Anonymous said...

Mom's rock!!
it's God send, not godsend :)
just having fun
love you all
jan