Wednesday, September 05, 2007

General consensus

All right so as of 4:10pm today, I have 21 comments to yesterday's post pretty much saying the same thing. The woman was rude, but even more than being rude, she just didn't think! And I, overall, was not rude. If someone tells you they don't want your granddaughter to grow up and look like you then it is okay to be a little bit offended.

I think Jo summed it up pretty well:

I think you did right be letting her know that your feelings were hurt. It's hard to tell someone (but esp a stranger) to their face that they were thoughtless, but her backpedaling (awkward and horrible as it was) showed that she was sorry and embarrassed. She just needs a better filter between her brain and her mouth. I bet you taught her a good lesson.

I totally think that's what it was. It wasn't until she said it and saw the look on my face and thought about how it came out that she realized this was a not-so-nice comment!

Someone else suggested comebacks. I have a lot of comebacks. Here are my favorites:

Question: Do you play basketball?
  • What is this "basketball" that you speak of? (Try to do it with a foreign accent)
  • No I am a gymnast.
  • No I am a horse jockey.
  • I wanted a bigger challenge, so I took up miniature golfing instead.

Question: How's the weather up there?

  • Spit and say wet.

Question: How tall is your husband?

  • Five five. (I don't know why I say five-five. It just rolls off my tounge well.)
  • Side note: (Why do people want to know this? It seems like such a weird question.)

Statement: Oh my gosh you are so tall!

  • And you're really smart.
  • Thank you. I didn't realize that. I don't like to look in mirrors.
  • You are the first person who has ever told me that.
  • What!? Holy crap. That must have just happened overnight!
  • Well thank you. You're quite . . . medium-sized, I would say. Extra-medium even.

Question: How tall are you?

  • Five five. (Again. I just like this one.)
  • Six-three. How short are you?

Question: What size shoe did you wear?

  • I have no response for this. But I do want to know why people want to know this?

Question: How in the world do you find clothes?

  • I don't. I go everywhere naked. Except today. These are the only clothes I have.

I also enjoyed visiting the suggested webpage: About being tall. This writer included some interesting sentiments:

  1. Always remember that being tall is a blessing, and personally, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.
  2. And furthermore, it is a gift that never goes away. Beautiful people all get ugly, fit people all get fatter and weaker, and smart people all lose their mental sharpness eventually, but you will always be tall. Of course, you also be ugly, fat, and stupid, but you’ll still be tall.
  3. Be prepared to hear the following comment at least 10-15 times per month: “Oh my god. Your head almost hits the top of the doorway!” People never get over this, and they never will. It is a fascination that I’ve come to believe is inherent to human nature.
  4. One thing you’ll learn quickly is among the more persistent features of being tall: everywhere you go, everybody in the area can see you, and you can see them. This is a strange feeling, and it can be both convenient (e.g., when finding people in crowds), as well as quite disconcerting sometimes (e.g., everybody can see what a pathetic dancer you are).
  5. Keep in mind that tall people usually only realize that it is a blessing after puberty. Before then, it makes you different and awkward. I grew 11 inches in one year when I was young; talk about awkward. Also, for those of you in elementary schools that practice the “size order” walking in class lines policy, there is something really demeaning about being last in every single line you ever walk in.
  6. A word of caution: public transportation and air travel are going to be a problem. Regarding the latter, my advice is bulkhead seats. Regarding the former, my advice is to avoid it at all costs.

I especially like comment #4. This is so true! I feel like everyone can always see me and is always looking at me. It is helpful. When my family would go into stores, we never had to come up with a "place to meet". We'd just look up until we found my dad and all return to wherever he was. But I also agree that it can be inconvenient and one of the reasons I haven't really started dancing until the last few years -- when I just really quit caring so much what people thought of me!

Okay, so I thought I would sum up this post with my factual statistics.

I am 6'3".

I wear a size 12 shoe.

My husband is also 6"3".

Yes I play basketball.

The weather is fine, actually.

6 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

Ahh, Wendi, I miss you!!!

Another good reason to be tall...you can eat more Dairy Queen without it showing! :-)

Anonymous said...

i love you Wen!
i like your mother inlaw -everytime she writes it also hits my heart "just right"! :) you are blessed.
i really laughed at the quips you've come up with --i love the "these are my only clothes one..."
Guess what i never think of you as tall -i think of you as so beautiful inside and out, wishing i carried myself with such grace and confidence -and thinking if i were that beautiful i might! :)plus you are just plain fun!
xo Tante Jan

TAV said...

I remember being at the Mall of America with you, your dad, and John, and remember being thrilled that I wouldn't "lose" you guys and get lost amidst the masses because I'm "short". I think it is definitely a plus.

Anonymous said...

I understand you not liking it when people ask you about being tall. I hate being told that I am average. I either wanted to be tall or petite......NOT AVERAGE.
Average! Humm...who wants to be average at anything?

I know it isn't the same thing, but it does have to do with height. Just thought I would share. Ok I am going to go now.

Anonymous said...

This is probably up there as one of my favorites of your posts since I "jumped on your blog wagon"! So funny!
Miss you! =)

Sheri said...

I like the naked answer!!! LOL!