Tuesday, September 25, 2007

1 down, 2 to go

It is 6:55am, and JB just left! This is amazing! He was here when the sun was up! Wow! He starts a new rotation today -- Orthopedic Surgery -- word is JB wants to be just like his role model, Dave. (Okay, just kidding. I mean, he would like to be like Dave, but he doesn't want to be a surgeon. At all.) But the next two weeks are supposed to be a very nice rotation for John! Yay! It will be wonderful to have him around more.

So our home study went great. Amy was very nice, and the questions were very easy. I know my mother-in-law would want to hear the exact type of questions that were asked, so let me see if I can reflect properly.
  • Why did you choose to adopt?
  • Why did you choose China?
  • What do you feel about your daughter's birthparents? (What kind of sterotypes do you have about him/her/them?
  • Have you been around children at all?
  • Questions about our home? Which room would we give the child? Etc.
  • Are you ready for the adjustment issues you might face? (I actually learned a lot here. Like if you give the child timeout, you should do it near you becauase they fear abandonmnet. Also, the child will probably want to sleep in your room -- many parents let them in their bed to battle the loneliness. Rumor is they often regret this decision.)

That was really about it. She met Scrubs who got so stinkin' excited he started dribbling on the floor again. I think I have decided he MUST be OUT when guests arrive. If he has to wait to come out of his kennel to meet them, he just can't stand the excitement and ends up peeing on the floor. Well, at least she knows I can clean up urine well.

Anyways, this happened during the first few minutes she was here. During the last few minutes, I accidentally left the laundry room door open, while JB was getting a map out of the car to help Amy find her hotel, and Scrubs got out and was playing in JB's tilled dirt in the front yard. Amy actually found him and dragged him in! Oh well. At least she knows we are human. I kept talking in very kind tones to the dog while silently saying a lot of nice things. Didn't he know we were trying to impress her?!

But, seriously, it was a good visit. Today, I will meet with her for an hour just me, and then JB will meet with her an hour just him. I will, of course, update you.

***HEY EVERYONE. IT'S RACHEL S's birthday today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO RACHEL!!!! HAVE A GREAT ONE RACHEL!***

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know me well:) Thanks! Sounds like things went well. She sounds like a sweet person-anyone willing to grab someone else's dog and pull him out of the dirt is okay by me:)

I do have a question (when you get time) and it may be just because I can't see the picture clearly but is there plywood or something on your carport floor?? It's been bugging me...our carport is so full of junk we hide it but yours is clean, so I noticed it. Watch, it's an illusion and there's nothing there but floor! Anyway, one more question,does the dirt in the yard mean grass is coming? Enjoy your visit later... love ya!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

No, there's no carpet there. There are some wood planks there for the yard, but nothing on the floor -- that's just cement. It does look clean in the picture (but not that clean in person.) :)

Rachel and Hans said...

aww...thanks for the b-day wishes, wendi! so glad your 1st visit went well! anxious to hear about the other two.

Anonymous said...

I've asked various people for "kid" advice before and was also told - DON'T let them sleep with you.... because eventually you have to stop - I guess it's easier to just not start.

Ever watch "Honey we're killing the kids?" - very disturbing show -one family's 10-year old boy still slept with Mom. I think watching this show would put any parent at ease.....

Amy T. S. said...

Cool. I enjoyed the homestudy, actually. It was great to feel proactive after years of IF. I'm sure it will go swimmingly today and tomorrow, too!

Happy Birthday, Rachel !!!!!

(Who's Rachel?) ;o)