Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Volleyball

Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end.- Jerry Seinfeld

That quote has nothing to do with my blog. But, I thought it was funny.

So, here is my real blog ...

I have one regret about leaving Rochester.

That regret is that I only got to start playing volleyball with my friend Kristen recently.

I know I didn't really have an opportunity to play before this. I was constantly being put on exercise restriction with all this IVF stuff. And while I am not going to stop exercising altogether during my IVF transfers, volleyball isn't probably the wisest choice.

Kristen is the wife of one of the second year medical students. They go to our church and attend our CMDA (Christian Medical & Dental Association) Bible Study on Thursday nights. Kristen and Brandon remind me a lot of JB and myself -- only a bunch of years younger. They married right before medical school and are high school sweethearts (like us)! They also banter just like John and I! Okay, so JB and I are worse ... but it's refreshing to see other people like us!

Last night I subbed on Kristen's girls' team. This is the mid-level league which I have never played with before. First of all let me say that Kristen is an AWESOME setter. I haven't played with a setter like her since I quit playing club volleyball before my senior year of high school in order to focus on AAU basketball (and save my parents the $5,000 a year it cost to play on that travelling team). She is fabulous. We had five great hitters and ran a 5-1 ... okay so this is probably more than any of you care about so I'll stop now. But it was a fantastic evening of exercise. I seriously could play volleyball every night of the week. I have such a great time and get such a great workout. I hope to find some teams to play on at Eglin.

Speaking of Kristen, she is going to coach a club team in St. Charles -- the school I taught and coached a year at before I officially retired from education. I am going to help her a bit until we leave for Africa. It should be fun! This is the group of girls I coached three years ago. They've grown a bunch I am sure. It'll be fun to get back out there after a three year hiatus from coaching. We are going east to St. Charles tonight and then Thursday I am going to sub for another team. JB is really all-for me playing as he knows how much I crave exercise (and how much happier I am when I get it.) Speaking of JB, he is a tad bit sore from playing six matches with us on Saturday. (Tad is saying it mildly.)

Speaking of tad ... JB has been feverishly working on our condo for the last few weeks. Last night he tried to put in a new toilet, only to find out the tank is too wide for the toilet we got. He was a tad bit frustrated at that. (Again, notice the sarcasm in the use of the word tad.)

Sorry to end this post with talk of toilets, but heck, it's my life and that's what's going on.

1 comment:

yuan family said...

Thanks for playing with is last night. You are an AWESOME hitter! I haven't played with a hitter like you since club either! Thanks also for coming with me tonight to St. Charles.