Sunday, February 18, 2007

Happy Birthday Gabbi

Today is February 18th. I woke up and logged on my instant messenger to wish my sister-in-law Gabbi a happy birthday. Only her birthday was the 8th.

Gabbi once told me she has no idea how people don't remember birthdays. Gabbi is like this detail-oriented obsession person. She once told me: "wanna know something cool.......it you add my bday month to rays bday month (2+7) and my bday day and rays bday day (8+4) you get graces bday 9-12". Who does that? Who thinks about things like that? Not I. I seriously had to re-read what she wrote like ten times before I even knew what she was talking about.

Quite honestly, I am horrible with birthdays. Birthdays were not a big deal in our family. I still can't remember if my mom's birthday is July 18th or if it is their anniversary that is July 18th. I made this handy-dandy chart with every one's dates, and I never use it. I never remember to look at. (This defeats the purpose of the handy dandy chart.) I am, seriously, very, very bad at remembering people's birthdays.

I wanted to throw this out there so everyone knows this. If you are a family member or good friend of mine, I will probably remember your special day. However, it could, honestly, be a month late. It is a weakness of my personality. It is a hole in the being of my personage. It is a skill I do not possess.

I am sending Gabbi a card. Ten days late. Only ten days late.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you use your computer a lot like I do, so can you put all birthdays in the computer and have it remind you several days before? That has helped me so much (and I don't have to remember anything!).

Anonymous said...

reminder: your father's birthday is in about 2 weeks!!!

Gabbs said...

Go to www.birthdayalarm.com and there you can set it up where it reminds you of everyone's birthdays, etc. They email a reminder to you and then voila, no more forgetting!

And I'm not THAT weird for the whole 2+7 and 8+4 thing!

AW said...

*huge sigh of relief* I am SOOOO relieved to know that I am not the only one that's bad about birthdays.

My family didn't even celebrate birthdays (I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness), so half the time I don't remember how old I am, let alone how old someone else is or when their birthday is. And of course, Neil's family makes a HUGE deal of them.

It's terrible. They always remember mine and I NEVER remember any of theirs. I know they think I'm a terrible daughter/sister-in-law. :-(

Anonymous said...

Here's how i remember your mom's -tho i may have the age wrong -
my memory is that she was 18 when she got married and that 3 days later she turned 19...that's how i remember her anniversary comes b4 her birthday -
she'll correct me if I'm wrong !:)
Tante Jan

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Jan, I think you are right. My mom was 18 (and said I was too young at 21).

I love these computer ideas and I am going to do them!

And ... funkymonkey ... I'm relieved someone else feels like I do -- a total loser of a daughterinlaw/sis-in-law b/c I didn't grow up thinking this was a big deal.

Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I was 19 and turned 20...
I was too young. It worked tho.