Thursday, February 15, 2007

I never learn

Yesterday, JB and I had a wonderful Valentine's Day. We went to an early movie: Music & Lyrics. It was a very fun and pretty clean romantic comedy. If you go in expecting a frivolous romantic comedy, you won't be disappointed. I was going to make dinner afterwards, but JB has been working on the condo for the last two weeks, and it is therefore in shambles. So at the last minute we opted for our favorite: India Garden. We were especially happy that our favorite waiter has returned from his year-long vacation back in India. We missed him! We even ran into the Philips there. Right in the middle of dinner, I see JB's face go into contortions. He then says that he hears Karuna's voice but doesn't see her. She suddenly emerged from a booth seat to give me a big hug.

So I titled this post "I never learn". Here's what I never learn. Each February, after a cold snap, I begin to convince myself that the end of winter is upon us. As a result, I forgo my silk leggings and boots and start dressing like it is 30 degrees outside. The fact that I called facilities at Mayo about how cold it was in my office so many times that they brought me a space heater (sssshhhh!) only helped this problem. My office no longer feels cold either.

So last night I excluded my leggings and my boots from my attire. As a result, my feet froze all through the movie and all through dinner. They hurt so bad! You know they are in bad shape when even JB's feet were bothering him. The reason?! Well, with windchill it was actually -20 last night. And we had dressed like spring was around the corner.

We ended up sitting on the edge of the bathtub with our feet in hot water post-dinner and then curling up under a blanket for the results of American Idol with my heated rice bag.

I have learned my lesson. I do not have permission to stop dressing for winter until we have at least one week where we are repeatedly above freezing. The snow has stopped melting. People are running feverishly to get from building to building. It's time to stop acting crazy and stay warm.

Hope you all had a great Valentine's Day. No matter how cold you were.

3 comments:

Amy T. S. said...

Wendi, you just pack yourselves up right now and come to Texas. It is 40 degrees here and that is COLD for us.

We had Indian food for our Valentine's dinner, too! AND there is some left in the fridge - yum.

Anonymous said...

Wendi - For the last few days I've been warming myself, the bed, anything! with our microwavable herb heating pad. I, too, should know better, having lived in the Midwest for my whole life, but I get suckered in, too! I always laugh that no matter if it's cold or hot it's usually TOO cold or TOO hot.... we're just never happy!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Amy, I'd love to visit. Truly.

And Angie, if a midwesterner is struggling -- not good.

However, I must tell you, there is no such thing (in my world) as too hot.