Thursday, February 08, 2007

Camera Phones, Volleyball, and Ambien

So today, I took a picture with my phone and successfully emailed it to myself! I took a picture of the iced door I keep telling you all about. Here it is. Geesh, with these camera phones, it's like we can all be right together even when we are not. Pretty cool I say!

Last night I played some co-ed volleyball. A guy that works in the lab next to ours asked me if I would sub for his team as one of his girls was sick. Normally I am not a huge fan of co-ed being as the net is so much higher than I am used to. And being as I am a hitter and blocker, the high net really screws up my timing. However, last night I played with a good team and seemed to do fine with the timing. I played well and had a great time. I only missed one serve -- another thing that is often affected by the high net as I spent my whole life serving on a net quite a bit shorter.

Rochester is a huge volleyball town. They have tons of leagues. And most are played at the National Volleyball Center which has something like ten courts. I really wish I would have gotten more involved in these earlier in my time here but with all of my health stuff, there really was no way to commit. Either way, I am playing now and hoping to play a bunch more in Florida. Tonight I am subbing for another friend's girl's team. The game is at 9 -- a little late, but I really want to play.

Another thing I think about when I play volleyball is, maybe I made a mistake choosing to play college basketball over college volleyball. As most of you know, I attended Western Kentucky University on a basketball scholarship. Unfortunately, I never put on the weight that they wanted me to and continued to be a center stuck in a forward's body all the way through.

However, I was offered full volleyball scholarships and a few schools were interested in me playing both sports (Georgia Tech was where I was leaning for that). I know you can't look back and have regrets. I know that WKU is where the Lord placed me, and ultimately, placed JB. But I definitely love this game and often wonder if I made the right choice. When I play now, I am a amazed at all the "nuances" of the game that are still so real to me from all those years of club volleyball and then coaching it for two seasons in Kentucky. Oh well. No crying over spilled milk. (That's an expression Bara which means being sorry about something that already happened and you can't take back.)

Also, some of you have been asking me about my sleep. JB and I have both been having fitful nights of sleep. Finally last night we decided I'd sleep in "Kelsey's room" and he'd sleep in the bedroom. This way we could sleep who was the sleep-robbing-culprit. Well it was me. JB said he fell asleep right away and only woke up when the alarm went off. I, on other hand was up as of 3:15 and never really went back to sleep. It is so frustrating! Taking some of the advice in my comments section, I have an "anonymous" friend who is going to give me some Ambien today. I think I am going to try it. I'm desperate! I only have about 3 days left on the progesterone, but it often takes a few days after that to get out of my system. Until then, we plan to sleep in separate rooms so at least JB can sleep, even if I can't. I am usually giving myself about 9 hours of sleep "time" but only getting between 2-5 depending on the night. I either wake up and stay awake for hours or wake up periodically -- one night it was approximately NINE times! Grrrr...

Okay, need to do some RLSF work. Peace out folks!

4 comments:

AW said...

Wendi, I am so sorry about the fitful nights of sleep. It is frustrating as I struggle with being a light sleeper/insomniac myself. I usually awake around 2 and up until 5:30 or so. Just in time to crash and wake up at 7. I'm trying to look at it as Nature's way of preparing me for a child. Ha.

Hey - here's a funny joke for you: What do you get when you cross an insomniac, dyslexic, and an agnostic?

A person who stays up all night wondering if there's a Dog. :-)

TAV said...

I wish I'd gotten to play some volleyball growing up and here too! I have NEVER been so sore as after that one tourney we played in first year!

Anonymous said...

no crying over spilled milk! this is one of very few easy understandable expressions!
thanks for tutoring! ;-)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Tara (Funky), that is HILLARIOUS!