Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Flowers and Rick

So far our days have been pretty low-key and relaxing despite shuttling from place to place. Yesterday, I spent the afternoon with Joan and Bri while JB planted new flowers in my mom's garden to surprise her. They look really beautiful. Here are some photos of him during and post-planting.


We also stopped by the M.'s house. Rick is at his own home with hospice and people are continually coming and going. His wife Diana showed me the list of the people that have been here during the last 4-5 days and it is incredible! It was difficult to see him like this, and of course, the pain medication means his consciousness is in and out, but I was glad we stopped by. His pain is now well-managed, but it is, nonetheless, very sad. In his last email, Rick wrote that he should be thankful for his 57 years because they are more than many people get. That is very true, and in many countries 57 years would seem like an eternity, however, here in the western world, they just don't seem like enough for a strong firefighter like Rick. They have a lot of support through their church and the school which they have both been a part of for over two decades. JB talks often about how wonderful hospice is as he has done a lot of work with them. I definitely agree.

Here is a picture of Rick and Diana a few months back. I want to try to look for a picture of him as I remember him in high school when I get a chance. This is a picture from Keith and AD's shower.

Then last night we hung out at Ray and Gabbi's. Gabbi made chicken fajitas and we played some Mexican Train Dominoes! My parents have the game and just use it for a door stopper! We had a great time although I am going to bed way too late every evening.

I also wanted to thank everyone for the encouraging emails and comments I have been receiving. Nearly everyone has echoed our sentiments and told me that they were glad we are taking a break. I got an email from a dear friend who hung out with us a few nights before we decided to post-pone, and she wrote that she had not ever seen me so "bone tired". I was just plain emotionally drained. I, honestly, was glad to hear that it was not just what we knew but what other people knew as well. That in order to heal and get better, I had to take a break from everything related. It's hard to stop and postpone, but I know it was the right decision. We are very happy with our decision to put off treatments and have begun making plans for our Medical Mission Trip in March. I am so happy to be able to go! I am still very mellow and trying to work my way out of this but am otherwise doing great. We are really trying to take things easy while we are here and not get too stressed out. Hopefully after Christmas, when the wedding gets into full swing, we will still be able to do that.

Well, off for our daily run. I can't tell you how happy running and sitting by the pool make me. They are two of my favorite activities.

1 comment:

AW said...

Wendi,

I am so glad you are getting a chance to refuel. I think in our little TTC "bubble", we have a tendency to forget that our conceiving (or lack of) does NOT make us "us". We are so much more as women, as wives, as daughters of our Father, as sisters to each other. I try to remember that if my womb can't be fruitful, that my soul can be. So I'm trying to focus on being fruitful in my marriage and friendships. Yes, somedays it's a struggle, but it's good to remember that Hannah/Ruth/Sarah/Rebekah/Elizabeth, all barren women in Scripture, are not remembered for their barren-ness. They are remembered for other much more important things: strength, faith, loyalty, strength. You get the picture. :-)

My prayer is that you enjoy and SAVOR every moment this holiday in true celebration.

Andi