Saturday, June 17, 2006

Check 1...Check 2...Is this thing on?

I'M BAAAAAACK!!

Josh....(Wendi's cousin that is)

For my second act on Wendi's blog I thought I would be a little more normal and down to earth. For those of you who don't know, John and Wendi are currently vacationing in the sunny, tropical land of Mt. Rushmore. I am well aware that Mt. Rushmore is not a state or a city, but a mountain that has 4 faces carved into the side of it. However, as of this posting I do not even know what state or city Mt. Rushmore is in...so as Wendi knows all too well, whenever my stupidity shows its ugly head I try to make a joke out of it and hope that everyone laughs!

(Pause for laughter......hopefully.........seriously, laugh!!)

Okay, let's move on.

The sad fact is, I was a history major in college. So technically...I should know where Mt. Rushmore is! But that's only the beginning when it comes to things I never learned (or retained) as a history major in college. (Needless to say, my degree sits in a box full of dust...just waiting to be used! But don't worry about me, I'll keep paying my student loans for the next 15 to 30 years...I promise!) I'm not bitter.

So check this out...

Last weekend I was in an elevator all by myself. I was on the 1st floor, and my room was on the 4th floor. So I hit the number "4" and the doors started to close. Suddenly the doors opened up again and an older man walked onto the elevator. The man looks at me and says, "Going up?"

Listen, I'm a nice guy, and I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to stupidity. The fact that the elevator was on the 1st floor and could go NO OTHER PLACE BUT UP was an issue that I decided to ignore at the moment. (Plus I was tired) So I simply replied, "Yes sir."

As I'm saying this the elevator doors start to close again. As they are closing the man reaches over and hits the button for his floor. When he does this the doors immediately open again. I'm thinking, "Come on, I just want to get to my room!" But this time the doors open and no one is there. So...the doors start to close again. At this point the man next to me says, "I don't think the light for my floor works on this elevator." So this time I watch him as he goes to hit the button for his floor again. It is at this point that I notice something that shocks me. The man is pressing the button for the 1st floor! THAT IS WHY THE DOORS OPENED AGAIN!

So for your entertainment, here is how the conversation between us went. I'll start with what I said...

Me: What floor is your room on?
Him: I don't know.
Me: Well, what's your room number?
Him: I'm room 1121
Me: Okay...this is your floor. Your room is on the first floor.
Him: No...my room # is 1121. I'm on the eleventh floor.
Me: Sir...this hotel only has 5 floors.
Him: Well why wouldn't my room # be 121?
Me: I don't know sir.
Him: Why does everything have to be so difficult?
Me: Yeah...it's crazy.

The End


As this conersation took place the man went up to the 4th floor with me. I'm sure he was pretty humiliated as he stayed on the elevator to go back to the 1st floor. The one question I thought of later was...Why would he hit the 1st floor button if he thought he was on the 11th floor?

That my friends, is crazy...

One last thing....I later realized that the man looked a lot like my old history advisor from college. Maybe that's why I couldn't get a job with my degree!!!!!

That's it. I'm not paying my loans anymore!

See ya

Josh

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mt Rushmore is in South Dakota - West side.

Anonymous said...

bara...

I would have never thought of that! Brilliant!

Josh

Anonymous said...

You made me smile...I didn't laff real hard but I did smile! Thanks Josh!!! Aunt Diane

Anonymous said...

That is a hilarious story, Josh! I miss Wendi a lot and can't wait till she gets back so I can get my fill of reading her blog-writing, but you are an all-star guest columnist!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I agree Tara -- well done Josh. I also wonder if there WERE eleven stories and YOU were confused. How do we really know?