Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Thai Meal

I understand that not everyone likes my posts, and I am completely okay with that. If I can teach just one person one thing, then I am happy. If you are not that one person, then rest assured that Wendi will be back tomorrow! :) Oh- and my other post, where I said I was a gourmand, I wasn't bragging - gourmand: a person who loves good food, and doesn't care who knows it.

So without further ado - here is the Thai food post.

Chicken Satay (satay leu)
Cucumber and Prawn Salad (yam dtaeng gwa)
Chicken and Galangal Soup (dtom khaa gai)
Thai Fried Rice (kao pat)
Red Curry (geng dtaeng)
Fried Bananas (gluay pao)

This is the menu. You can take try what you want, or try it all for the whole experience. There is a bit of prep work to this if you are going to make the whole meal, so it might be fun to get a couple of interested people to help until you are quicker at it. That is actually the traditional way of cooking, in groups.

So let me first explain a few things about traditional Thai cooking.

Traditional meals have no appetizers. They usually consist of a relish (known as nahm prik or lon), a salad (yam), a soup (geng juet), and a curry (geng ped). Each dish should be a balance of 4 tastes: sweet, sour, salty, and spicy. And the meal as a whole should also reflect that.

Definition: Curry - any wet, savory dish enriched and thickened by a paste. These are almost always served with rice, and this definition is almost the same in Indian cuisine as well. There are NO special or specific spices or ingredients used to make them - although many are similar. So, if a person says, "I don't like curry." I know they probably had one kind that they weren't crazy about and have therefore decided they don't like all of them. It is kind of like an American saying, "I don't like soup (or casseroles or pasta)" - there are just too many ways to make it to rule them all out as a whole.

The Asian Market
This can be an overwhelming experience, or it can be a lot of fun. If you are like I was, going into an Asian market for the first time (or the first time to actually buy stuff for a meal), it can be intimidating. The first thing you can expect is a unique fragrance. It is a blend of exotic fruits and fish and bags of rice that have traveled from across the globe. I love it! But to be honest, it wasn't extremely pleasant the first time. It grows on you ... like coffee or a fine wine!

The second thing you will probably notice, is that you will probably stick out like a sore thumb. I am 6' 3", speak English, and am white. I don't blend. You may get some curious looks, but be confident ... and polite! Every store I have visited has been filled with genuinely nice employees and mostly kind shoppers. Yes, you are still in America and English is the national language, but it is rude to say that (yes, I actually heard someone say that once... grrr!). This is their community and cultural center of sorts - respect that, and you may be accepted faster than you realize. One time when I asked for an ingredient, the owner took my list and went with me throughout the store filling my cart. She then brought me in the back and showed me how to cook some of the stuff! Also, at another store, one of the cashiers gives me a free drink whenever I visit.

The third thing is that you may get an answer that doesn't match your question. Many of the employees don't always speak English as fluently as you do. I asked one little lady if they had shallots, and she brought me to the rice with a big, hopeful smile on her face. I bought an extra bag of rice that day. You might end up buying one or two things you didn't have on your list, but you might find a new food that you love. The Asian food store can be a great place to learn.

Thai Ingredients
I am going to go through the ingredients from the recipes that are specific to southeast Asian cuisine. You will probably need to buy these at the Asian market. Now I know Super Target is stocking some of these things now, but some of them are like 5-10 times more expensive.

(Note that you can click on the image to see a larger version ... I think)

Fish Sauce (nahm pla): A very unusual, but vital element to Thai cooking. This is made from fish or prawns and is very pungent in smell and taste, but when added to a dish, it adds a depth to the flavors that you just can't get elsewhere. It is usually found in clear glass bottles resembling a wine bottle with a plastic cap. I usually buy the 23-25 ounce bottle, but they have 7-10 ounce bottles available. There are MANY brands available, Golden Boy, Squid Brand, I currently have Three Crab, but I have not really found a noticeable flavor difference. I am not that advanced yet! (There is no substitution for fish sauce.)

Limes, Juice and Leaves (bai makrut): The Kaffir Lime is the traditional Thai lime. The fruit looks like a lime with wrinkles, and the leaves look like 2 citrus leaves connected end to end. The leaves are usually sliced into very thin strips. (No substitution for lime leaves, but you can use "regular" lime juice instead of Kaffirs.)

Bird's Eye Chillies (prik kii nuu suan): These are small green or red peppers second in heat only to the rare red habanero peppers. If you like it hot; these are for you. If I am making a meal for people with milder tastes, I either just put in an uncut, unbruised bird's eye, or I use serrano peppers to substitute - about 1 serrano in place of 2 bird's eye.

Coconut Cream and Milk (hua gati, hang gati): Unless you want to crack a coconut, grate the fruit, and then extract the cream and milk, I recommend the canned variety. It is not as authentic, and probably tastes it, but it is a heck of a lot easier. It comes in cans resembling soup cans in many sizes. I usually just stock up on the 14 ounce size. There are a few brands to choose from but usually I see Aroy-D or Chaokoh. "Lite" versions exist that have less fat - authentic uses the real stuff, but lite is healthier. (No substitutions.)

ePalm Sugar (nahm dtarn bip): from the concentrated sap of palmyra and sugar palms. The process is similar to making maple syrup, but this syrup is allowed to dry out. It is found in large and small rounds and sometimes cones. You need to pound the rock hard sugar until soft and crumbly so you can measure it for use. (brown sugar can be used if you run out or can't find it)

Lemongrass (dtakrai): Stiff, fibrous, grasslike plant with a lemony smell and flavor - can you get a better name? Look for bright green stalks, but a little yellowed or browned is still good. Most will have a little bit of dirt on them still, just wash it off. Remove the outer sheath and grassy top third before using. (no substitute)

Red Shallots (horm dtaeng): Look and taste like a mix of red onions and garlic, but they are their own species. Should be solid, not mushy, and try to buy ones that do not have green sprouts - although a little bit is okay. Just peel off the papery skin and mince for use. (gray or brown shallots can be used instead)



Galangal (khaa): This is a rhizome, like ginger and ginseng, that looks kind of like a woodier, striped piece of ginger. It has an earthy, peppery smell and flavor. I like to buy it fresh, but I have seen it dehydrated or frozen. It is pretty solid, so make sure your knife is sharp and your cutting board is strong. (ginger can be used as a substitute in a pinch, but there is a definite difference in flavor)

Oyster Mushroom (het): This is a common mushroom found at American grocery stores as well. I think the name comes from what they look like, not what they taste like. Unlike the button or portabella mushrooms, these guys grow right on top of each other. You may need to break them apart to wash and cut them. Look for bright white (with maybe a little yellow or brown hue), soft, fairly dry mushrooms. (Traditionally, straw mushrooms are used, but they are hard to find in the U.S. - you can also use chanterelles)

Shrimp Paste (gapi): This may be the heart and soul of Thai food - from where Thai became it's own. It is made from tiny planktonic shrimp that have been salted, fermented, and dried in the sun. It is bright red or purple-ish and is either packed in a small plastic tub or mixed with oil and placed in a glass jar. I use both, and I don't really have a preference. Once opened, it will stay in the fridge indefinately. There are many brands to choose from, and I haven't found one better than others. (there is no substitution).

Thai Basil (bai horapha): Purple stemmed, green leaved basil with a stronger, sweeter flavor than the more familiar Italian varieties. It can add a great flavor to curries and soups. Look for fresh, crisp leaves and try to avoid wilted or browned bunches. To use, pick the leaves off the stems and rinse under cold water - you can use the deep purple flowers and flower-buds as well! (lemon or Italian basil can be used, but it is just not the same. Holy Basil, another Thai variety, comes in either red or white forms, and these are used in stir fries)

Bamboo Shoots (nor mai): Crisp, crunchy, soft, and nutty, these baby bamboo plants are a great addition to curries and many other dishes. Many places sell them fresh, but they are still good canned, and you can stock up on on them. I prefer the more tender "tips" if you can find them, and I usually avoid the shredded just because I like the texture of sliced better. Many brands of canned are available, and most are good. Rinse them off, slice them length wise about a quarter inch thick or less, place them in a pot of cold, lightly salted, water, and bring them to a boil. Let boil for less then a minute and then drain them and let cool in cold water. If they are fresh, you may need to repeat this a few times until they are tender. (no substitute)

Curry Paste (kreuang gaeng): Okay, to be traditional, one should make their own paste. I have a granite mortar and pestle to do just this. It is a lot of work! But you have a lot more control over what ingredients and proportions you use - and this matters with different dishes. However... canned, generic pastes (red, green, yellow, massaman, panang, etc.) are great time savers. And for the person just learning and experimenting, they are a perfect way to be introduced to Thai cooking. They can come as either small, short cans - typically one can per dish, or they can come in larger, resealable plastic tubs for many meals - just keep it in the fridge. Since they come pre-mixed with chillies, know that the more you add, the spicer the dish. Mae Ploy and Maesri are great brands to use. (no substitute)

Jasmine rice (kao horm mali): Traditionally, rice is the most important part of the meal. Kao is Thai for food and for rice. In fact, the greeting, "gin kao ruu yang", which is translated as "how are you?" literally means "have you eaten rice today?" Jasmine rice, a long-grained rice from the central plains for Thailand, is their favorite. The scent of jasmine rice is more like pandanus (a type of palm leaf with a frangrance somewhat like vanilla). It is the pearly sheen of the jasmine rice, reminiscent of the flower, that earned it's name. Jasmine rice is prepared just like any other white rice: 1 cup dry rice, washed. 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover. Turn heat to lowest setting or off. Wait about 15-20 minutes until the water is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with fork. (you may have to experiment with the time and heat that is often specific to your oven and pots... or use a rice cooker like we do!)

Wok (grata): Okay - this is not technically an ingredient, but it is a very useful piece of cooking equipment! Traditionally a clay wok was used, but nowadays, the carbon steel wok is the best. They have aluminum, and stainless steel, and non-stick - I'll have none of that! Carbons steel is the best, and it is usually the cheapest you can buy! ($20-$30) They can come "unseasoned" and silver, or "seasoned" and blueish-black. Either way, carbon steel is a naturally non-stick surface that gets better with age. Perfect for Thai cooking. (if you do not have a wok, most meals can be made with a very large fry pan or a large pot)

Recipes
Finally, here are the recipes! I have put all these recipes into PDF format. All you have to do is click on the link, and download or open the file to print it. You may have to download the PDF reader first. Also, this link will be available for only 7 days, so if you are reading this later, email me. Have fun and enjoy.

Thai Receipes PDF

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the educational post on Thai food! I have downloaded the PDF and am looking forward to trying my hand at imitating you in the kitchen. :) Next food blog post...Mediterranean?! :) My mouth is already watering!

suebaby said...

Wendi and John~ My husband is also a big Thai cooker and we eat variations of those foods often... I liked the post and I liked the part about people having to remember that they are in the middle of someone else's cultural world when they are at an Asian market, so walking around and asking where the burgers are and the English speaking folks just doesn't fly. Thanks and don't you just love jasmine rice? So good!!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Sue, YES YES YES -- I could eat Jasmine rice all day. Have you tried Basmati (with Indian) ... I love that a lot as well. John says Jasmine must be Thai and Basmati Indian but it truly doesn't matter to me. :)

huisofamily said...

John I am so excited...Except you know Jason and thai.:-) So I need a few people, I think I will make it for my family when we go on vacation in July!!
Yeah, Thanks John.
In your spare time you should form a Food Blog! (ha ha ha:-)
Kathleen

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Kathleen,

JB mentions this quite a bit -- making a comment about how he loves to cook for you but unfortunatley you married a boring man who only likes meat and potatoes. WHIMP! But if he is hungry, will he eat what you make? THAT is the question.

Anonymous said...

Maybe its a Huisman thing. I read the first few paragraphs and said, "to complicated"! Give me 30 minute meals with Rachael Ray. :) However, I would be happy to sample YOUR cooking anytime John.
Aunt Linda

suebaby said...

Hey Wen...

Yes, I love Basmati, too... in fact, we have a bag of each in the cabinet right now... yum.

Anonymous said...

the pdf is gone! please repost