Saturday, April 30, 2016

Scrubby .... I miss him.

They will not go quietly,
the dogs who've shared our lives.
In subtle ways, they let us know
their spirit still survives.
Old habits still can make us 
think we hear them at the door
Or step back when we drop
a tasty morsel on the floor.
Our feet still go around the place
the food dish used to be,
And sometimes, coming home at night,
we miss them terribly.
And although time may bring new friends
and a new food dish to fill,
That one place in our heart
belongs to them ... and always will.

Thank you to my friend Shannon who sent me these words in the mail. She is an online friend who lost Dals within days of each other.

I am amazed at how other people can capture what my heart feels. I cannot tell you how many times I think I heard Scrubby's whine indicating he wants something I'm not giving him. And I continue to drop something on the floor and think, "Scrubby will get it. Oh wait. No he won't." And I get out the vacuum with tears nearly each time.

Our new pups are great, and for the most part, the intense pain has dissipated. I don't cry every day now. I don't stop and cry by his grave every time I pass it.

But I think of him all the time, and I keep wondering how it can be that he isn't here with us anymore.

I started this blog in 2005. Scrubby joined us in 2007. He has been in the Blog nearly since it began. His whole life has been documented in posts.

Whatta boy.

Man I miss him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

😭

Unknown said...

I'm just so darn sad for you 😢

Unknown said...

Beautiful words. I lost my last Dal several years ago and I am STILL finding her hair. Dal hair has tiny barbs on the end and that is why it is so hard to get rid of. I sometimes wonder if their spirits also have tiny barbs that stick in our hearts.