Saturday, November 16, 2013

Books, books everywhere!

Oh how I could relate to this post about books taking over the house!

We LOVE books in our house. But now that the boys are getting older, we have books for Abigail AND books for them. And of course, there are all the baby books that are waiting for Hannah to get old enough to read.

(I won't even go into the library full of books in JB's office. They are contained there. So I'm fine with that.)

And when it comes to me and books, I am very good about it. If it is not a book I plan to read again, I easily let it go. Just like the author of the linked article, I am very good at purging them. My favorite thing to do with them is: PaperBackSwap — "not only because it saves money, but also because it’s a great way to keep your book collection under control. Why? Because you can’t earn book credits unless you get rid of some of your books." I am especially happy because paperback recently allowed for APO shipping (so I don't have to route them through my mom anymore!)

But the kid books? They are everywhere. At least weekly, I'll sit down in front of a shelf and try to pick some to purge. Inevitably, I stack them up, and then those are the books that the kids dive into and want to read for the week! Seriously?

The author of this article's has three tips:
  1. Define your book boundaries. (Choose how many shelves you'll have and if you go over -- purge!)
  2. Only keep your absolute favorites. (This is what is so hard for me when it comes to kids books -- it truly seems like every book is their favorite for a time. And when you have kids of various ages and various sexes, the challenge gets stronger.)
  3. Swap/sell or bless others with your extras. (Use sites like paperbackswap.com to make you feel like you are getting something out of the deal.)
Okay readers. So let me have 'em. What are your best tips for keeping your book collections under control?

No comments: