Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Homesteading Mama: Our 2020 school year


We've made some pretty substantial changes in our homeschooling days this year. 
  1. We are splitting up the kids between houses more: Kotysnkis, Grama's, and our house. Living 7 minutes away from each other makes this easy. And of course Grampa and Grama live on the farm. Grama being willing to help is SO helpful and gives Hannah and I both a little bit of time where we don't have major responsibilities. 
  2. Instead of homeschooling for free with curriculum I could piece together like we did in the past (and working as a reviewer of free products), we are using SONLIGHT. This is a history/Bible/language arts curriculum all grouped together. I am doing one of them with Abigail and one with the "bigs" (six kids). This curriculum fits us SO WELL. It is literature-based which I absolutely find fantastic. All of our kids are good readers, and we love learning through reading. I am learning so much and the kids are too. It's great. The video above is of a typical "afternoon" in our house. I have my two sons, three of my cousin's children, and our friend Katy on zoom doing history together. We are listening to a "Read Aloud" and answering questions while we go.
  3. For science, we are using Generation Genius which I LOVE. I stumbled upon this and am totally hooked on it! I am making worksheets to go with our assignments so if anyone else uses this program, let me know!
  4. We have stayed with CTCMATH for all our kiddos 6th grade and older. Our high schoolers are doing different math curriculums that fit them a bit better. I am currently planning with staying with that program through high school.
  5. Hannah Kotynski is teaching an amazing Bible curriculum! Here is the link to it: TO EVERY NATION. After doing the first book on missionary Hudson Taylor, Sidge told us: "I once wondered if Christianity could be real. But after reading this book, I definitely know it is. It has strengthened my faith." He said that! In those words!
  6. The kids are doing ballet (via zoom), Karate (via zoom and outside personal lessons) and tennis (playing as a family and doing a lesson once a week.)
  7. We have continued piano via zoom with our teacher. 
There's a lot more, but this is just some of the fun things we are doing right now.

    No comments: