Thursday, September 24, 2020

Corona Virus Books

I'm hoping to be able to get some extra reading in during this time of quarantine. There are no libraries open at this time, but I used my cousin Hannah's as a library and got a hold of some great recommendations! 

My friend LaShea suggested that for my reading list, I try to find an African American author. She recommended THE HELP which remains one of my favorite books AND favorite movies of all time. I'd already read it, so I did a little searching myself and stumbled upon March Forward, Girl. The writing in this book was a little "young" for me, but I actually think that's great. I think this would be a FANTASTIC book for high schoolers to read to understand what was happening in the South in the 60's. Melba Pattillo Beals gives a great understanding of how, while the rest of the country had "moved away" from outright segregation, the south was still alive and well. The frustration of a black woman in Little Rock not being able to take their own food off the shelves (because they were dirty) or for them to have to step aside ANYTIME a white person got into the line is just absolutely unimaginable. Also, the idea that the KKK could come into your church (which they did at one point) and hang a member of your church right in front of women and children? It was so difficult to read. In another scene, she barely escapes a rape situation with KKK when she finds herself on the wrong side of town after dark. One of the "Little Rock 9", you can truly FEEL the strength this young woman would have had to have during this time. OUTSTANDING, EASY read that will REALLY open your eyes to what the south was like during this time.

Mara, Daughter of the Nile. MANnnn do I wish I could have read these kind of books when I was in school for history. This was part of our SONLIGHT World History Curriculum, and it was just OUTstanding. Beautiful book. Clean enough for anyone to read Although it is written at a high school level, my sixth graders handled it without too much trouble. Fantastic read! An awesome look at while life in Egypt with the Pharaohs may have been like. 

The Golden Goblet is an easier read than Mara (listed above) but an equally outstanding look into life in Ancient Egypt. My kids loved this. Middle schoolers can easily handle it. Used this for our history curriculum, and I strongly recommend it.

Quarantine Book 16 / Vacation Book 2: Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. THIS was an incredible book that I could not stop myself from reading. But mannn was it painful. It really puts a "face" to the sex trafficking and stealing of children that can go on in the USA and the world. It was written incredibly well, and did a fantastic job jumping back and forth between the past and present. I was incredibly impressed with the writing but this book IS a downer despite some love and happy moments. 


Quarantine Book 16 / Vacation Book 2: Wow! Wow! Wow! I was really shocked when I jumped over to Amazon by how mixed the reviews were for this book. It was INCREDIBLY well-written, and I was unable to put it down and read way too late into the night last night. It is a mostly "sad" book -- not a feel good book. It also does have enough sex in it that I wouldn't recommend it for non-adults. Some people who left negative reviews said she didn't get some of the "facts" right about life in that era. I am not sure about all of that, but I thought it was really interesting. I thought that "natural" side of it was incredibly well-done. Owens is an AMAZING writer. Even if you didn't love the story, the writing is simply amazing. A strong recommendation fro me.


Quarantine Book 15 / Vacation Book 1: I am really torn about how I feel about this book. It was an incredibly inventive and interesting idea. The cover made me pick it up. It is written well. As far as "young adult" literature (of which this is), it is pretty clean. Nothing too much to shy away from. I did feel that the author was trying to "preach" a little about her politics through some of what she was writing. The ending also falls a little flat for me. But as a "Little House" fan, this was interesting and an easy read.
Quarantine Book 14: I am really enjoying the GREGOR books. Just finished Book #3 and brining book #4 on my trip with me! This is a FANTASTIC middle school book. Very clean. Nothing for a parent to be worried about other than some very typical battle scenes. I think boys would like it a bit more than girls, but I am falling in love with the main character in this book. Well done!

Quarantine Book 13: My friend Anni's Mom gave me this book as a "teaser" for this author. I wish I would have realized it would end with a cliff hanger. I need to get a hold of the whole story now! I haven't read Dee Henderson before -- Christian author. I enjoyed her! I will definitely give a longer of her works a good chance.


Quarantine Book 12: This book was DARLING! "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be" by Farley Mowat was superbly written and incredibly uplifting and funny! A great one for your middle school aged kid on up. (Or you can do a read-aloud with younger kiddos.) Very clean and appropriate book for a middle-schooler. The story of a boy and his hilarious, almost-human dog.

Quarantine Book 11: I decided to read a favorite series of my son Elijah's (Sidge). This was the first time he had "fallen in love" with a series. I'll never forget, when the series was over, he started crying -- like he was losing an old friend. He said to me: "Why couldn't the author have written more books?!" Clean. PERFECT for middle schoolers.
 
 
Quarantine Book 10: I decided to browse our own library for our next read. I found this book. I had always loved the movie as a child, so decided to give this a try. It was GREAT. Maybe a little bit "long" on the different animals they meet and encounter but really fascinating. It was similar to the movie with a few big changes including the book has four sons not three and they have multiple houses in the book, not just the famous tree house. I was also surprised with how many memorable quotes I took from this book. Here's one of my favorites: "What can be more delightful than to find harmony of opinion in those we love, when a great and momentous decision has to be taken?" Here's another one that I think is REALLY good for this time: “If it be the will of God,” said my wife, “to leave us alone on this solitary place, let us be content; and rejoice that we are all together in safety.”

Quarantine Book 9: This was a simple read. The author was an incredibly sarcastic writer which mostly worked but sometimes didn't. It was a fascinating look at living as a missionary kid in the jungle. My Aunt and Uncle gave this to me YEARS ago. I don't think I ever read it. But I read it now. Good read. Apparently it is Book 2 in the series. Oh well!



Quarantine Book 8: Ohhhhh, HOW had I had NOT heard of this book before now?! The Scarlet Pimpernel is truly one of the best books I have read in recent memory. Written in 1905, it took a few chapters to really get into and the language makes it possibly a little too hard for middle-schoolers but HOLY COW I did NOT want to put this daring story of love and adventure down. Set during the French Revolution, it will remain one of my all-time favorites.



Quarantine Book 7: Savvy by Ingrid Law was a very fun read. It's a middle school level book. Has a bit of growing up/relationship stuff that would make a bit "old" for kids under 12 I think. It's the first in the series so I am hoping I can get my hands on the rest of the books in the series sometime soon. I am constantly amazed at the CREATIVITY of authors. How do they come up with these new ideas that have never been thunk of before?! (And yes I know "thunk" isn't a word. I wrote it for effect.)

Quarantine Book 5: Not sure how I have gone so long in my life not having read this 1993 Dystopian-style novel. I did a little research and discovered it is the 4th ranked Children's novel of all time. I'm a little confused by that. I thought it was a GREAT book and really made me think, but I'm not sure I would call it a "Children's Book." It has some really heavy topics. I would let my Isaac read it, but I think kids under 10 would probably struggle with the concepts.

Quarantine Book 4: Third book in the series. Well done. Amazing artwork. Kept me reading despite being totally out of character for me to read.
Quarantine Book 3: This was book two in Westerfield's Leviathan series. Again, these shocked me. I was not intending to like them. But I really did. I would let my young boys read this even though there is an underlying love story that feels a little too old for them. 
Quarantine Book 2: I NEVER read books like this but what a fun first try at the genre of "Steam Punk." A young adult book that a grown woman really enjoyed. So creative. And the drawings were AMAZING. The only "Questionable" content is reference to "breasts" being as there is a girl who is disguised as a boy and needing to make sure no one notices she is a girl.
Quarantine Book 1: I Loved this book! A great read for kiddos age 8 and up. A little bit of a crush sprinkled in which might be "too much" for some kids. 

3 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

We have done the whole Penderwick series as read alouds! And my older kids still pick them up and re-read them often!

TAV said...

I was JUST thinking about making a Coronavirus/Quarantine album of books I've read!!
If you have a kindle, many libraries have e-books available for loan despite the branches being closed, which is how I'm getting and reading a lot!

Tara said...

If you haven't read GHOSTED by Rosie Walsh, you have to read it. My surprise most-loved book of this whole year!