Sunday, August 19, 2018

We Bought a Farm: Going back up a hill (and a wonder dog)



The life of farming means many delays. It means trying something and it failing. It means a water bucket breaking and when you buy a new one you realize you bought one that is only made for dry feed. So it leaks. And you have to caulk it. And the whole thing takes four times as long as you thought it would in your head.

The life of farming means that the rain totally dictates your day. You can't move animals on wet terrain so you must prepare ahead of time or wait longer than you planned. A downpour can stop you dead in your tracks. But it can also mean you are forced to sit inside and play board games and know that your animals aren't thirsty.

Farming also means turning around and going back when you remembered that you forgot something. On our farm, it equals hill galore and being out of breath by the time you finally reach your destination. And when you realize you forgot something and have to walk back up a hill, you mutter under your breath and take a deep breath and turn around. Because you don't have a choice.

So many times in this new life of mine, I wish I could do something in one trip, only to realize that carrying one water tote and a hose and the bricks or rocks to stabilize the water tote in just one trip isn't possible. So I have to make two trips. Or three. Sometimes I don't mind this. But sometimes I am tired or in a hurry. Which can mean mistakes. Or just extra fatigue.

This life is so beautiful and so hard all rolled into one package. The words to explain it often escape me. It frustrates me beyond words. And yet I would never choose another life but it.

May I close by saying that this life is made wayyyyy better than a dog destined to be a farm dog. She loves this life. And I love that she loves it with me. She is my shadow on the farm. And my days wouldn't be the same without her.

(Except when I am trying to untangle line and she decides to stand right smack in the middle.)

No comments: