Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday Funnies

I have been working with the boys on various aspects of life. The states in the USA. Their full names. The names of the Presidents. The first time I asked the boys, "Who is the President of the United States of America?" Sidge replied, "I am" without missing a beat.
*****
I've have been requiring the boys, more and more, to carry their own stuff. Want to bring some books in the van with you? Okay, but you have to carry them. Want a snack or a drink? Okay. You carry it. Isaac had his heart set on two books and a drink cup for our recent car trip. He kept asking me to help him, and I kept explaining that he was welcome to take two trips, but that he had to figure out how to carry them himself. As I said this the third time, he dropped one of the books and said, "See Mom. That's the problem."
*****
After living in "Europe", I can understand why all people move to South Florida and paint their houses colors that are just totally "Un-American." And actually, I now kind of like the purple and orange and pink and mint green houses. Why not? While driving down the road the other day Sidge said, "Mom. God made houses different colors!" I smiled thinking how much I enjoyed the variety of house colors. I also wondered how long it would be before he stopped attributing things to God and man instead.
*****
Sidge and I had a "date" to the Base pool where they were letting the dogs have a "swim day" before shutting down the pool for the year. He got one of the "uncrustable" peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and I got one. He finished his first and asked if he could have a bite of mine.
Me: "Okay. You can have one bite of mine."
Sidge: "Thanks Mom."
Me: "You're welcome."
Sidge: "Hey Mom?"
Me: "Yeah?"
Sidge: "Can I have another bite?"
Me: "Well, I just gave you one."
Sidge: "Yeah, but I'm one more hungry."
Me: "Okay. Here's one more bite."
Sidge: "Thanks. Now I am no more hungry."
*****
I haven't listened to a real radio station since before we moved to Turkey. In Turkey, the stations were all Turkish. Here, they are all Portuguese. However, I can pick up 96.1 which is the Air Force Base station. It's nice to hear someone talking in English. However, the songs they play are very random. There will be a country, then a rap, then a hard rock song. This means that I often have to turn it off or on depending on what comes on -- especially when I have little kiddos in the car. Yesterday, while riding in the car with Sidge, I heard him say: "Mom, this song sounds like Jesus' voice." I stopped and listened a bit closer. It was some sort of rap song that I'd never heard. I have no idea where he got a connection to Jesus from, especially when I went home and listened to the whole song: Lil' Wayne's Bedrock. (I won't even put a link to the lyrics on my blog because they are so vile.) Needless to say, I quickly changed the station. Jesus and Lil' Wayne ... hmmmm ....
*****
One of my new friends on Base, Melinda, came up to Sidge at the "Dog Dayz" at the pool and told him he was "one beautiful little boy." Sidge smiled but then said, "Ummm ... boys are handome ... not beautiful."
****
I "retired" Isaac's Mickey Mouse pajama shirt because it was just too small. But the pants, still fit a bit, and so I kept them in the pajamas drawer. While picking out his pj's the other night, Isaac asked me, "Where is my Mickey shirt?" I explaiend that it was now too small. "Oh," he said. "Where do shirts go when they get too small?" I decided against explaining to him my system of storing or giving away too small items and instead just said I put them away in a box on the third floor.
*****
The boys continue to ask for my help when something is inside out. And when I fix it, they will say some variation of, "Good! Now it is outside out!"


1 comment:

Marie said...

I love the Friday Funnies! I am amazed that you are able to remember or jot down all of them. Great job! :)