Monday, September 03, 2012

Base Life

It's been three months since we left our life in Turkey. I feel like I am now qualified to make some observations about Base life. I, obviously, don't know it like people who live on Base. I probably head up to the Base about two days per week. I have found that perspective is a very interesting thing. Because we are coming from Turkey, I am judging everything by that standard. My friends who have moved here from the States are judging things based on the States. And that's a mighty different judgment system. Here are how things compare to Turkey from my perspective:
  • Commissary (base grocery store) is definitely smaller but quite adequate, and in general, the workers seem a lot nicer and laid back that they were at Incirlik. In Turkey, they scrutinized my coupons like their life depended on it. Here, they haven't returned a single one to me for "problems." They give the boys cookies (although Isaac doesn't like cookies -- go figure!) and they have a really nice little "restaurant" in the Commissary where you can get sandwiches from the deli made or hot sandwiches wrapped and ready to go. We've often sat down and just eaten lunch right in the grocey store. Way cool! Before going to visit JB at work which we usually do once a week, I usually stop by there. I pick up an 87 cent lunchable for the kids, a hot sandwich for JB and me, and we eat lunch for about $7-8 in his office together. In addition, they have volunteers who actually tape coupons to products in the store for people to use. How awesome is that?
  • BX (Base Kmart) does not stand up quite as well to Turkish standards. It's oddly shaped for one -- not the typical square that most stores are. It's also a little dark, and the toy section is just plain pitiful! The people are very nice, the sale racks are very good, and there are a ton of GENERIC BRANDS of products which we never had offered in Turkey. I really like that. Oh and did I mention there is a tractor that the boys can sit on? They love that.
  • Church is now going strong here. We waited to start until the September 2nd Contemporary Service was launched. That was yesterday. It is held in the fellowship hall, and I really, really enjoyed it. There were probably about 30-40 people there, and the worship was really done well. In addition, there is a Sunday school class for the boys. They hold the gospel service at the same time in the sanctuary so that the kids from both services can be mixed together for Sunday School. Brilliant! There is currently not a nursery, but I am hopeful I can find a few other parents to help alleviate that fact.
  • Restaurants on Base include: a "Club" type of restaurant at the TORC (Top of the Rock club). The Base truly is set on a huge rock (or hill?), and from this spot, you can see some beautiful views of our neighboring landscape. I've only eaten here once. The food was very good though, and offers an opportunity for an American-style evening out. However, on the island, there is enough different type of food options off-Base that I don't think this is as much of a necessity as it was in Turkey. In Turkey, your only option off-Base was Turkish. Here, you can get nearly any kind of food at local restaurants. There is also a Subway on Base and a litte fast-food type grill (Oceanview Grill) in addition to a coffee shop (Cafe Bean).  
  • Fast Food does not exist on the island unless you count Subway or Oceanview Grill on Base. In Turkey, the two malls offered fast food options American and Turkish style. But here, there is nothing. Other than the two burger and fries meals I had at the Base grill, I have not eaten any fast food in probably five months. Awesome!
  • The View: from the Base is .... amazing! It is right on the water. Breathtaking. However, what I do not like about Base housing is that it is technically off-Base. It's a strange set-up. You have to go out the gate to enter Base housing, and while secured with a gate, outside individuals could easily enter. It's a little awkward to me.
  • Other perks: I haven't been to the Base gym or Bowling Alley yet, but the AFRC (Airman and Family Readiness Center) is amazing -- and very accessible. It has a computer room and snack area and children's play area and coupon area. I love it! In addition there is a Base pool that looks very similar to the one in Turkey, and the very cool Stormy's which is a play area set up in the Fitness Center. I really can't believe Turkey didn't have something like this. It's an area that parents can go with their kids and let them play inside -- for when the weather is bad. And it's open nearly all day every day. The Thrift Store is not nearly as good as the one in Turkey. But the library is really wonderful here and story time is a very fun event.
  • Security is NOTHING like Turkey as you can imagine. Getting on and off Base or getting guests a pass is a BREEZE!
  • The Clinic where JB works holds a lot of similarities to the Clinic in Turkey. But now that we are no longer there, I feel free to write this. There was ONE woman in Turkey who was fairly high up the administration chain, who made the life of everyone who worked at the Clinic in Turkey absolutely miserable. I never wrote about that on the Blog while JB worked there. But now I'll say it. She was a nice woman if you ran into her out of the Clinic. But in the Clinic, it was a different story. Here ... that woman doesn't exist. And it's as if you can feel her absence is a tangible way. JB is given the freedom that he is supposed to have as a doctor. Because the military is losing doctors at a rapid pace, they have been attempting to offer things that will entice them to stay. One of those is supposed to be the ability to organize their clinic schedule in a way that works best for them. However, in Turkey, aforementioned woman prevented that upon every turn. Here, not so much. JB is given the ability to run things the way that works best for him. And because the Base is much smaller, when he takes phone call, the calls are significantly lighter. In addition, in Turkey, aforementioned woman would want them to bring patients in when the Clinic was closed. Here, when he takes phone call he either has them wait until the Clinic opens, treats over the phone, or directs them to the island hospital (which is pretty consistent with Turkish standards -- or even a bit less.)
  • MOPs does not exist on Base. But I am helping to start it up. Our first meeting is on this coming Thursday. Your prayers are appreciated! We have no idea how many women to expect, but we are excited to see the Lord leading this ministry. MOPs is an outreach. It is a way to reach the unchurched. And I am really blessed to be able to be the Coordinator of MOPs this year -- something I never  saw myself doing.
Okay, so that's all I can think of right now. Other questions? Things you can think of?

No comments: