Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday Funnies

I love how Sidge says things backward like "I'm going to uncatch Daddy" or "my underwear are outside in."
*****
While reading a book that gave the names for what you call baby animals, we found a few animals that didn't have a "baby name." So Sidge started making them up. "Maybe a baby snake is called a snake-ee," he suggested. Or a crocadile-ee for a crocodile. But the funniest was when he suggested the name of a baby toad. "I think it would be toad-ee," he said. "Like my little toes-ies."
*****
The boys were trying to help their Dad catch a cricket that was in the hallway. Later, they came and told me all about it. When I asked them, sarcastically, what that cricket was doing in my hallway, Sidge replied, "Just crickin'around."
*****
We were roasting marshmallows outside.
Isaac: "Daddy, how many marshmallows can we have?"
JB: "I'm not sure Isaac."
Isaac: "Well, if you aren't sure, then we should have a lot."
*****
We were learning the memory verse: While we were sinners, Jesus Christ died for us."
Isaac: "Did we die?"
Me: "No, Jesus did."
Isaac: "Why did Jesus die?"
Me: "So we could ask Him in our hearts and spend forever with Him."
Isaac: "Is Jesus in everyone's heart?"
Me: "Anyone who asks Him."
Isaac: "But we can't see Jesus."
Me: "Right."
Isaac: "Only in pictures in the Bible can we see Him. Right?"
*****
JB: "The Bible says that Jesus can give rest to those who are tired .... you know, so they won't want to sleep all day."
Sidge: "If you are tired, you would sleep all night."
*****
The kids have recently started AWANAS. They are doing a mission with AWANAS which is to bring in loose change so that they can buy mosquito nets for kids in Africa. On the way to AWANAS, we had a conversation about this.
Sidge: "Mosquitoes scare me. I hide under my blanket."
Me: "You don't have to hide under your blanket. The mosquitoes in America and the Azores are nice mosquitoes. They will not make you sick."
Isaac: "But the mosquitoes in Africa are bad?"
Me: "Yes."
Isaac: "Did Joni sleep under a net when she went to Africa?"
Me: "Yes. That's really cool you remembered that Joni went to Africa. And when your Daddy and I went to Africa, we slept under mosquito nets too."
Sidge: "Did I sleep under a mosquito net when I went to Africa?"
Me: "You didn't go to Africa. You weren't born yet when your Daddy and I went to Africa."
Sidge: "Oh."
Me: "You haven't been to Africa. But you've been to Turkey and America and France, and Portugal, and Luxembourg, and ..."
Sidge: "And where else Mommy?"
Me: (Stopped to try to remember the other countries he'd been to.) "Ummm ... and ..."
Sidge: "And the ice cream shop in the Azores that has a big cow in it?"
Me: "Yes. That too."
*****
Sidge: "Mom, Grampa snores all night."
Me: "How do you know that?"
Sidge: "Grama told me that."
Me: "Oh, she did?"
Sidge: "Yes. And when Grampa snores all night, he wakes my Grama up."
At this, I started laughing.
Sidge: "Is that funny, Mommy?"
Me: "Yes, that made me smile."
Sidge: "My Grampa's a funny guy. And so is my Grama."
*****
Sidge: "Can I come out of bed?"
JB: "Why?"
Sidge: "Because my head is wet."
JB: "No, get back in bed."
Sidge: "But my bed will get hot."
JB: "You mean wet?"
Sidge: "Yes."
*****
A conversation Isaac had with Grama (recorded verbatim by Grama)
"Sidge is my brother. I like the way he be's nice. He makes me laugh because he's silly. I love Sidge this much. Abigail is a crazy climber. She likes bananas. She has blonde hair. I love it when she takes a bath because she's very funny. My daddy is very funny. My Mommy is very funny too.
*****
While reading a book about Christmas, the children in the book decided to give away a bunch of cookies to neighbors. "We could do that," I said. "At Christmas, we could make cookies and give them away to the people that live by us." Sidge's eyes got wide, and he said, "We could. But we could eat them too."
*****
While in the bathtub, the boys were not cooperating in cleaning up their bath letters. "Sidge," I said. "Either you clean up the toys or you get a swat on your bottom." He looked at me, thought for a moment, and said, "Okay. Go ahead and swat my bottom."
*****
As Isaac was finishing his chore of feeding Scrubby, I told him, "Good job Isaac. I'm really proud of you for doing that without me having to keep remind you." Isaac replied, "Yeah. Sometimes whe you tell me something, I put my hand on my eyes and say, 'Aaarrrr' but this time I didn't."
*****
While the boys were sitting on the couch getting a minor rebuke from JB for misbehaving:
JB: "Isaac. Elijah. You must listen when we tell you to stop."
Elijah: "Daddy, my name is Sidge."
JB: "No. Your name is Elijah. And when I am disciplining you, it can definitely be Elijah. Your nickname is Sidge."
JB walked away and I heard the following conversation take place:
Isaac: "I call you Sidge. But that's your nickname."
Sidge: "No. My nickname is Elijah. My real name is Sidge."

No comments: