Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Showin' off the Teefers


This photo honors the start of week two with solo mommy and her two little boys. Monday and Tuesday on this rotation are more difficult days because JB doesn't get home until well after 7pm. These long days seem even longer when the rain keeps us from getting out for a walk. Even longer when the eldest of the two boys is a fairly cranky Isaac. For about three days Isaac seemed to be feeling fine but is now not acting himself again -- very irritable, tired, and cranky. We aren't sure if he is teething or just growing up or sick or what.

Despite a very sick little boy last week, I survived my first week, and quite honestly, found it much easier than I thought it was going to be. I truly feel that a lot of people were praying for me because I had total peace the entire week. Some other keys to my success?
  • Staying home. At least for right now I am trying to keep our adventures away from our home to a minimum. I need to learn how to do things at home before I try to do them on the road. In addition, when Elijah needs to eat every 2-3 hours, it really limits what I can do. I am not in a position to stop and feed him while out as I then wouldn't have anywhere I could put Isaac. In talking with my friends who have multiples, they say that being home for feeds helps keep stress to a minimum. That is definitely true.
  • Daily walk/runs. Both boys seem to love them. Elijah sleeps the whole way and Isaac just rides in complete peace. I feel rejuvenated and energized as well.
  • Getting rest whenever I can. If both boys are asleep, I try to lay down on the couch, if only for a few minutes.
  • Praise music. If you haven't visited the site http://www.pandora.com/, what are you waiting for? You can pick a song or a singer and it will generate a play list for you. It's awesome! It really helps keep the peace in our home and keep stress to a minimum. I love it.
  • A well-exercised dog. Taking ten minutes to play "rings" or "flashlight" with Scrubs help him behave like the dog we know he is. Even when I don't feel like it, this always works to my advantage (and sanity) in the long run. I really thought Scrubs was going to be my biggest challenge of the three boys, but so far, he's been the easiest. You go Scrubby!
  • Breaking up the day by "feeds." While I am feeding Elijah, I try to plan just for how I will do things until the next feed. I don't look farther ahead than that. Elijah is currently feeding every 2-3 hours. Each feed takes between 30minutes and 1 hour. I try to plan what needs to be done during the 1-2 hours after I am done feeding. Baths, changes, naps, food, play, etc. This is especially important so that I am not "strapped down" with one child when the other really needs something.

Thank you to all of you who have encouraged and prayed for me during the last week. I really feel it, and I am really doing great! Despite JB being gone over eighty hours last week (including a dreaded Saturday call) and Isaac being really sick, things went great! I am exhausted but incredibly blessed.

In closing, I wanted to post a video that I took earlier today. When we went to Minnesota for Hans & Rachel's wedding, our good friends Brandon & Kristen gave us some gifts for Isaac which included this duck -- a representation of their Oregon heritage. I brought it out today for Isaac while he was playing in his crib post-nap. Way fun!

9 comments:

Amy T. S. said...

The good news is Elijah's feedings should decrease in duration by about 12 weeks. It's awesome! I'm so glad you're doing well. You're my hero!

Joia said...

Wendi, you are Rocking this "mom to Irish twins" thing!!

The duck is Adorable, but I fear you will grow to hate it oh so fast! =)

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

I agree with Joia...you are rocking! Wish I had stayed home more and longer from my part time job.
LOVE the duck! :)

Jess said...

You're doing great!! If everyone's cleanish and fed and no one is killing anyone it's an A+ for the day!!! :D

That duck cracks me up. Here in Ohio they do that song at wedding but the "quack quack quack quack" part is always "we want more beer!" Yep. Klassy.

Anonymous said...

I have something similar to that chicken and one time when I was taking care of a friends grandaughter, I brought it out and it entertained her about about 30 minutes! It drove me crazy but she loved it!! Glad you're doing so well Wen. Mom

Judy Woodford said...

Disappointed, can't get the music website in Canada... =(

You sound very organized Wendi, Good job. Good Mom.

yuan family said...

Oh gosh, I didn't realize how annoying that duck will get for you...sorry! Maybe it will run out of batteries quickly?? I am glad it didn't scare Isaac...maybe he will be a true Oregon Duck fan someday! You are a great mom Wendi.

rachel said...

What great looking teeth! I will be sending Isaac a baby toothbrush to celebrate! :-)

Anonymous said...

Loving that Pandora station! Awesome!