Friday, February 13, 2009

Stunned

So apparently your bladder can be stunned.

I was thinking back to some of my adventures during my week long vacation at Eglin's hospital, and I realized I hadn't shared my full bladder story. :)

When you get an epidural, you also get catheterized. The idea of a catheter used to terrify me, but during IVF treatments, I had to be catheterized many times to combat a too full or too empty bladder. It really wasn't bad. I also had to face the catheter when I spiked a fever during my recent adventure as a urinary tract infection could have been the culprit, Anyways, those events were totally doable. And a catheter accompanied by an epidural? A cinch. You are numb anyway! No biggie.

Okay, so back to the stunned bladder part.

After I delivered on Saturday morning, I was required to stay in bed until Sunday morning. I suppose this is to allow my stomach to heal a bit and to allow the epidural to wear off. The catheter stays in place so you don't have to get up to use the bathroom.

Sunday morning they removed the catheter and got me up and out of bed. They also had me use the bathroom. Fast forward a few hours -- six probably. I am back in bed, talking to Dr. G. when all of a sudden I find myself in extreme pain again. I can't pinpoint where the pain is. I just hurt. As we all start discussing what could be wrong, I have a moment where I feel like maybe I need to go to the bathroom. I begin the long and drawn out process of getting out of bed and sauntering into the bathroom. They have a device in place to measure my urine output and when all is said and done, I have released nearly an entire IV bag worth of fluid. Apparently a bladder can get stunned and, as I understand it, sort of forget to tell the brain it needs to be emptied. I had been drinking tons of fluids but hadn't used the bathroom in hours. The pain I felt was most likely bladder spasms . . . who knew you could forget to go to the bathroom!

Unfortunately I really stretched out my bladder during that event so over the next few days I would have to make myself use the restroom at regularly scheduled intervals as I was still not feeling a need to go. I can say that since returning home with specific instructions to stay very well hydrated, the urge has returned with a vengeance. I'm constantly using the restroom.

Speaking of home, it is hard to believe that as of today, I have been home one whole week. And what a difference a week makes. I am now able to get myself completely dressed! I can get in and out of a chair holding Elijah. I can pull Isaac up onto the couch by me so I can read him a book or give him a bottle in his boppy. I can bend down and pick things up off the ground without having to use my toes to get me halfway there. I can use the bathroom fairly easily. I can get in and out of bed in a matter of seconds instead of a matter of minutes. I have also lost 29 pounds since Friday (I left the hospital weighing at least 10 pounds more than when I entered it) and goodness knows it is all fluid. I can now see the veins in my feet again! I have my arches back as well. I was also able to actually see my incision without looking in the mirror which indicates that the air in my stomach (which previously blocked my view) has gone down even more.

JB actually has a four day weekend! It is perfect timing as I have hit a bit of a fatigue wall. In addition, his Dad is driving up from South Florida today. He will be staying until Tuesday morning and then driving home with JB's mom. What a blessing that she has been here with me for these two weeks. I truly could not have made it without her. She has been so amazingly helpful, with both boys and Scrubs.

On Tuesday as JB's parents are driving south, they will be passing Joan on the road who will be driving up to replace them. She will be staying a week! Next week is a big week as Isaac has surgery on his ear on Thursday. Please be praying for him (and for his nervous parents) as we prepare for this big event. JB has already taken Thursday off of work so he will be here to help the entire day.

Happy Valentines Day everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wen...can you please send me you address. I have misplaced it and I have a baby gift for you. Send it to my gmail address.

Also, one of these days we are going to connect via the phone!! It has to happen!

Love you my friend!!