Monday, February 16, 2009

Another little bump

For the past few days, I have been feeling a little feverish. We have attributed it to hormones or the weight I have lost, but each time I took my temperature, it was a bit higher. I'd wake up in the middle of the night sweating or I'd need a sweatshirt in the middle of the day. Last night the chills got especially pronounced and when I took my temp it was close to 100. In addition, I just felt really crummy, like I had the early stages of the flu or something. I didn't think that 100 seemed too high but JB was concerned that the Tylenol and Motrin I had been taking were keeping it lower than it actually was.

We called Dr. G. and she was concerned too. Concerned enough that she wanted me to meet her at the Emergency Room. Back to the hospital again! Unfortunately, they had to catheterize me, again, to rule out a urinary tract infection. Lovely. Apparently a urine sample on a post-delivery gal (or a post-pushed-a-long-time gal) often comes back inconclusive so a cath is the only way to go.

In the end though, no UTI. However, I do have the beginnings of mastitis an infection of the breast in newly delivered breast feeding moms. Mine is on the left side. I didn't have any of the redness yet but the tenderness was there. Apparently the main symptoms are redness, tenderness, and flu-like symptoms. If mastitis gets bad it can leave you feeling really crummy -- a lot crummier than I currently was.

The good news is that I have already started on an antibiotic which should help this clear up quickly. Both JB and Dr. G agreed that they were glad we caught this so early. If something could go wrong with my delivery story, it, unfortunately, has, and no one, including myself, wants to see me down and out with the equivalent of the flu after all that.

If you don't mind praying that this infection gets itself under control, I'd be incredibly grateful. I am feeling so much better every day and just want to continue on this upward trend!

15 comments:

Rabens Family said...

I got mastitis too a month after having Madison. I caught it early also, so it didn't get too bad. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in quickly for you too. I am so sorry to hear that you got the infection. We will be praying that it clears up quickly. If you need anything just call. The good news is that I only got it once the whole time I was breastfeeding.

Tara said...

Ugh, I just had this, too. Once on each side. I managed to work it out without antibiotics (although I was prescribed them..I just didn't want to take them because I also had--have?--thrush). I hope you get it under control soon..mine was so incredibly painful. I have had several weeks now of breastfeeding issues and I think I might be finally getting it all under control at 6 weeks..hang in there.

BTW, if you end up having any more issues like with cracked or sore nipples, you might want to ask for All Purpose Nipple Ointment (APNO) It's a prescription compounded cream (4 different meds). I finally got some last week and it has made a huge difference for me...just some unsolicited advice!

Erica said...

Aww Wendi! I will pray for you. I hope you get better soon so you can get back to your action packed life with your 4 boys...:)

Amy T. S. said...

Yuck! With all of our breastfeeding woes, mastitis is the one thing we didn't experience. Like the only thing. So I can only imagine how painful, especially on top of the other things. I will pray for you, you can count on it.

Becky said...

Praying for you Wendi. I think while I'm at it I'll ask God if He could just possibly make the road ahead bump free, at least for a little while anyway. I know there will always be bumps in the road, but my goodness you have had some big ones lately.

kjames106 said...

Yuck! I'm glad you caught it early. I did not and it was TERRIBLE! You should be just fine now that you have the antibiotics! Feel better!

Jennifer said...

You poor thing! If it's not one thing, it's another! Hope you are back to your own self soon!

Drew and Emily said...

Sending prayers your way from cold Ohio.

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon! How great to have a husband who is willing to get you the help you need. You just concentrate on getting better.

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Oh Wendi...I hate to hear this. Is there any way I can help? I am guessing you still have fam around or coming in. ???? Let me know...REALLY, I wouldn't mind helping with the boys, making a meal, WHATEVER as you get over this and try to feel better. WILL be praying! I love ya! :)

TAV said...

you need a break!! seriously!!

Anonymous said...

you are in my prayers girl! I started to get one, but worked it out with lots of hot compresses and manually massaging and hand expressing. Gotta tell you that hurt. I will pray for this to pass and for your road to be a little more smooth in the near future. God Bless You

Jenny said...

Glad you found out early! Feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised at all the girls on your blog who say they had mastitis too. I had no idea that it happened so often. I had it too, with Andrew. However, unfortunately, I did not catch it early. A night of the worst chills of my life, followed by extremely painful breasts. No wonder they say men could never handle childbirth!
Praying for you Wendi, hang in there. You will be back to yourself -- eventually. Thank heavens for the prize we get out of all this. A beautiful baby!
XO Linda

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Linda, I think they said it occurs in about 10% of cases ... I'm hopeful I won't get too bad.