Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Praise report

Just a quick note to praise the Lord for his great gifts.

As some of you know, my Dad's Mom has been fighting cancer for quite a few months now. It is a difficult cancer (lung and spine) and she is too weak to do chemotherapy.

There is another drug, Tarceva, that has been shown to shrink tumor size in one-third of non-smoking lung cancer women -- my Grama. However, it was incredibly expensive -- much more expensive than the family or my Grama could afford. My Grama qualified to receive this medicine for free based on her income. This is basically a special "gift" from the pharmaceutical company, and she'll get it for one year.

Please pray that my Grama is one of the 1 in 3 women helped by this medication. She is in her mid 80's and many would say "She's lived a good life." She's also lived the last 13 years of that life without my Grampa. But my Grama isn't ready to go yet, and I'm just not ready to let go of her either. We're determined that she's going to get to meet Elijah next year and pray that this medication helps her reach that goal.

The picture at the top is of me, my Grama, and Isaac at the shower the family held for me in August. My Grama held up a picture of my Dad to get "as close to four generations as possible."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendi,

Just wanted to let you know that I hope the Tarceva does for your Grandma what it has done, and continues to do for mine. Your Grandma's situation is almost exactly like that of mine. My Grandmother has been on Tarceva for a couple of years now and while she is not cancer free, she is able maintain her quality of life, which really means the world to her, as well as the rest of the family. I wish the same level of success for your Grandma.