Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bummers, Prayers, Praise, leg cramps, and a schedule change

Not sure how you can put the word "Bummer" in a title with "Prayers" and "Praise" and "leg cramps" and "Schedule change" but, it is, after all, my blog, and I just did it . . . so there! I suppose technically you can put any words you darned well want to together in a blog now can't you? No one says it has to make sense.

However, so that you do not think I have completely lost my mind, I will attempt to connect the topics into one, fairly cohesive, blog. (At least in my own mind it will be fairly cohesive.)

The bummer is that I got an email from Target saying they mistakenly labeled their seats at the ridiculously cheap price that I bought them for. They are $279.00 not $43.00. I am welcome to replace my order at the corrected amount. No. I don't think so. Does anyone else think the ability to change your price is a bit strange? I mean, technically, they could have seen how many people scooped them up and decided that their price should have been higher as an afterthought.

Oh well. Not much I can do about it except say bummer.

Praise is that JB's DOP (duration of pregnancy) patient had her baby during the day yesterday instead of into the evening or early morning or even tomorrow. This is especially amazing since she arrived at the hospital last night showing no signs of labor approaching and was delivered by lunchtime! Praise the Lord for her and for the ability to have a bit of family time last night.

Prayers are for our good friends here on Eglin. They are going in for their IVF harvest this morning! I know how exciting, terrifying, and overwhelming that is. Please stop and say a prayer for them. Pray especially that they will get just the right number of eggs and that just the right number will fertilize and just the right number will survive and grow to meet them on this Earth!

Okay so the leg cramps. First of all I have always been someone who has struggled with leg cramps. From my toes to my knees to my calves to my quads. You name it, I have cramped there. These often come during the night, but many times I am plagued by them during the day as well. If you are a close enough friend, you have probably witnessed my strange hopping and groaning at some point in our relationship. I was warned that these nasty things can occur or get worse in pregnancy. Oh my. Oh my. Oh my. I am now cramping throughout the entire night with great gusto! What was once a once a week or maybe every other week occurrence is now a nightly times, like FIFTY, occurrence!

Now I know there is a lot of advice out there for leg cramps, and I appreciate it. But quite honestly, if you suggest it, I guarantee you I have tried it. For me, the only thing that even slightly helps with my cramping is to not have my feet pointed (which means a loose fitting blanket and no sheets.) I eat bananas out the wazoo so this isn't it. I still found myself stumbling around the bedroom at 1:30 in the morning last night with the granddaddy of all cramps -- the dreaded knee cramp. Ugh! Tell me how stretch a knee! Needless to say, between not being able to get comfortable, and waking up nearly every hour with a cramp, I have been a weeeee bit more cranky than usual.

And schedule change describes the new month that awaits us. JB will be working in Pensacola (about 90 minutes from here) Tuesday thru Friday for the next four weeks. He will also be working from 1pm until 10pm. Most people have said this is a good rotation, however, driving 90 minutes one way four times a week, is a bit much, especially at 10:00 at night. We'll flip our family time to the mornings, a luxury of me working from home, and adjust fine, but it will take a bit of getting used to. It wouldn't be a bad thing if JB's last November DOP went during the day one of those days to help him avoid a day of driving. :)

So there you have it. Bummer, prayers, praise, leg cramps, and a schedule change . . . all wrapped into one neat blog!

11 comments:

Nikki said...

I can soooo relate to the leg cramps. Earth shattering, paralyzing cramps in the middle of the night. Nothing helps! We just have to grin and bear it.

Nix

Anonymous said...

Maybe you have tried this, Wendy, but I've heard eating a handful of almonds before bed helps with those all night pain fests. The calcium, the protein, something in there is supposed to help. I didn't hear that advice until AFTER I'd had the baby, but I'm going to try it next time. At this point, it certainly can't hurt you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry no help with the leg cramps, I had them too and they were murder. I thought I would crawl out of my skin.

I did find that Big Lots has some extremely good deals on car seats. I looked yesterday and there was an Eddie Bauer, Safety 1st Summit Deluxe and a couple of others for $60. I came home did research on them for recalls and reviews of which all received outstanding raves.

Anonymous said...

In Canada businesses *have* to sell the item within 10% of the listing price, even if there has been a mistake. Too bad there is no Target up here :(

Jules said...

Leg cramps - oh my dear, I feel your pain. It's one of those pains that you just don't forget (believe it or not, labour isn't as bad as those leg pains!!!)

Anyway, this is going to sound weird but this is the ONLY thing that worked for me - Tonic water I couldn't stand the taste of it so I added kool aid to it and it really did help. What made it even better (I don't know why or how I even came up with this) but I would have a piece of chocolate along with my Tonic water & kool aid and I didn't have any more cramps...until I stopped drinking the tonic water. I think the chocolate was just a mental thing but that's ok! lol

Aimee said...

Bummer on the carseat! I think it is pretty rotten.

Anyway, come on over to my blog, TAG, You are it!

Monika @ Lovely Bookshelf said...

My grandma swore by potassium supplements for leg cramps.

Uhhh yeah, the Target thing - not cool!

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like your nightly dessert might be Tonic water with koolaid, and almonds and chocolate-doesn't sound bad:)
I think I would write Target CEO and remind them that l) you are a GOOD customer and 2) sale prices should be as listed-that seems to be standard procedure even when they make a mistake. You might be pleasantly surprised even if they just give you a good discount. Won't hurt to ask?
I'll be praying you are more comfortable:) love ya, mom k

Anonymous said...

OK, my turn with some advice. Bob gets night leg cramps very often. He used to take OTC Quinine. Now, they won't sell it OTC. However, I think you have connections. For now he just takes normal cramp relief pills, along with a potassium/magnesium pill. He always describes the pain, "like someone stabbing him with a knife" Owwwch!
Linda

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

BUMMER!
I agree. I am surprised that a store would not just eat the cost when it was THEIR mistake!

Cramps...All I know is potassium which is easy to find in bananas and mandarin oranges! :)

Aimee said...

Wendi~
This article was on WCCO this morning. You aren't the only bummed out momma!
http://wcco.com/consumer/target.mistaken.deal.2.868130.html