Saturday, June 23, 2007

Halfway through the weekend = busy, busy, busy

It's Saturday. Close to 5pm, and this is one of the first times today I've even had a chance to write a blog. Most of the 10 residents in JB's class are now fully settled in and so, I guess this was the weekend to dive into activities. We have been quite busy despite the fact that the weekend is only half done. It is great to meet people but man are we beat!

Friday evening we went over to the home of Eric and Andrea. Eric is an intern with JB, and they have a toddler son: Johnathon. They are just entering their 30's as well and live right outside the base in a very nice town home. (They also have a dining room table that I LOVE! Trying to find one like it!) They are very strong Christians who have basically been doing mission work for a good portion of their married life. They have lived in France and also did a mission trip in Nigeria.

In addition, another one of JB's classmates, Philip and his wife Joia came over. They have a three month old soon Keenan (I hope I am spelling that right.) They met on a mission trip and just like Eric and Andrea were basically engaged shortly after they met. They are also very medical missions focused. Quite awesome in a class of ten to already meet two other couples that are so interested in missions. Apparently there is another girl in their class, Shannon, who is also very interested in mission work. I have only met her briefly once.

Andrea made a wonderful dinner: chicken cordon bleu (which I love), new potatoes, green beans, bread, and brownies. Awesome!!! We also shared pictures from our different mission trips with the group. It was a wonderful evening, and we got to bed pretty late.

This morning, I woke up early. My headaches are getting better but was still bad enough to wake me up. Thinking it may be a result of Tylenol dependency, my doctor/husband has CUT ME OFF!!! So I am allowed to take two Aleve in the morning and two at night. The headaches are getting better so maybe he knows what he is talking about.

JB woke up shortly after I did, and we decided to go for a run. We also decided to check out a few places on base (the "cheap" ticket center and workout facilities.) I was disappointed to see that they don't have any volleyball leagues starting until 2008 but excited to see we can go to a lot of places for a lot cheaper.

There was an Eglin Family Medicine Residency Program beach party from 11-2 on base that we spent the afternoon at. The three couples we have already hung out with were there: Eric and Andrea, Philip and Joia, and Matt and Tiffany who live around the block from us along with each of their sons. (Don't worry if all these names are flying by you. I'm having difficulty keeping track of everyone too.) In addition, I met some other couples from John's class and one of the two female interns are her boyfriend. It was a wonderful afternoon.

Following the cookout, we headed out to look at furniture. Man, this is an exhausting activity. There is so much, so much is expensive, and so little is what we would like or would want to pay. We have, basically, settled on a living room set that we want. We have a couple of dining room tables we are tossing around, and we know we want a Tempurpedic.

Part of our issue with buying these things is the adoption. We need to make sure we keep our net worth at an appropriate spot. Another issue with buying these things is that so far, John hasn't actually gotten a paycheck. Apparently, this is very usual with the military when you enter a new position -- it can take a bit of time for everything to get set up properly. However, we don't really want to buy something before we see a paycheck. So we know what we want -- we just are going to wait for the perfect time to buy the different items.

All right so it's Saturday, nearing 5:00. Our weekend is halfway done, however, we still have a ton of activities lined up. Did I briefly say I was a little lonely this week? Scratch that. This evening we are going to the Officer's Club on base with Matt and Tiffany and maybe a few other couples. Apparently this is a nice restaurant just for officers. Tomorrow, we are going to try another new church: Covenant Community with Eric and Andrea. Then tomorrow evening, we are going to something called a "Real Truth" party at one of the 2nd year resident's house: Rick. Apparently, this is a time for all the second years to tell the interns what they should expect during their internship year.

Monday, Brianna V. comes into town for a week so I'll be heading west to Pensacola to pick her up. I have yet, since 1995, lived in a city that has a regular sized airport in it. In Bowling Green, we drove an hour to Nashville. In Rochester, we drove over an hour to Minneapolis. And here, we will drive an hour or so to Pensacola. There is a cheaper airport right around the corner: Fort Walton. But you guys know how expensive little airports are. Bummer!

So that's a newsy post for all you detail-oriented people out there. I'll finish up the weekend report tomorrow evening.

5 comments:

Ryan & Katie Myhre said...

instead of temperpedic, google "bragada mattresses". ryan and i bought one and are SOOOOO pleased with it! it is basically an american version of the swedish mattress for $600 instead of $1200 and sometimes they offer free shipping. they don't accept returns for hygenic reasons, but i can almost guarantee you guys will be thrilled!!! let me know if you have any questions:)

Anonymous said...

Just jumped on here to check it out, and was so excited to see that we'd already been mentioned on here! =)
I've decided I'm in love with your blog and will probably be a daily reader from here on out! What a great way to share your life!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Katie -- I am googling it as we speak (two windows open.)

Joia, great to see you!!!! And we love new commenters. It changes it up so Tara doesn't do ALL the commenting. (Just kidding Tara!)

TAV said...

I really wanted to NOT comment, but just couldn't help myself. I had to respond to that. Although I might be your biggest blog-stalker (but perhaps Joia will give me competition), I am certainly NOT your most frequent commenter. Maybe this will all change once I am on call like every day :). I'll have to hold back from now on :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Please don't hold back Tara. I love your comments!!!!