Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Trying to find a groove

I still don't really feel like I am living at my house. It just doesn't quite feel like home. JB says I have to be fair. It has only been three weeks! He said it took months at our condo. But I don't remember it taking that long to get that "I live here" now feeling. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I know I have a ton of friends that have just moved? Do you feel this way too or am I the only one still feeling like this?

I think part of this is because the house is quite a bit bigger than any house we have previously lived in. We have a couch, an entertainment center, and a bookshelf in a huge living room/dining room area as big as our whole living room/kitchen in Minnesota. It looks quite empty.

We are also, patiently waiting to hear that we have been approved for China from our adoption agency . Once we hear this, we will consider purchasing the couch we have picked out. Until then, however, we are in a sort of holding pattern. While we are in a holding pattern, I'm hesitant to hang any pictures or make any significant purchases. So as a result, our living area looks pretty sparse.

I was watching Oprah the other day. She had on that cool designer "Nate". He said that you should never make a purchase just to fill a space. He said you should wait until you find just what you want. (He also said if you like something, buy it, and you'll find a space. I'm not so sure about that. I'm not so sure he understands my skill level.) But I did agree that you shouldn't but something you aren't in love with just to quench the emptiness. So we are going to wait until the perfect time.

The kitchen is a little more homey, but it sure isn't the kitchen JB designed himself in our condo. As a result, things aren't exactly where we want them yet, and some things, won't ever be exactly where we want them. The dishwasher is quite tiny and hard to put things in. The sink's cold water, is actually, quite warm. I thought this was just me until Tiffany, around the block, asked me about it. Apparently we aren't the only ones with quite warm cold water. The stove is gas. JB says this is good (cooks more evenly), but I need to get the hang of it still. We have some food items sitting on the counter because we aren't exactly sure where they go.

Please don't misinterpret this post as complaining. I like our house. It is large, spacious, open, convenient, and full of storage and closets. I'm just still sort of trying to find my groove.

The "groove" goes farther than just our home itself. It goes into finding a routine for myself with work, exercise, hobbies, and devotional time. My goal is to do small "bursts" of exercise throughout the day so as to break up my day a bit and get me off the computer for a bit of time. I think this can work, and I'm going to try it today. My ideal schedule would be:


  • 5:30 wake up (this is what time JB gets up)
  • 5:30-6:00 run with JB (t least 5 times a week)
  • 6:00-6:30 devotional time
  • 6:30-7:00 "fun" stuff on my computer (email/blogging etc.)
  • 7:00 start work
  • Inbetween 7-5 break for additional exercise times
  • 5:00 end work

I think this schedule can work. I also want to be able to take time off to do things with the "wives" or with JB if he gets some time off during the day. In order to do that, I'm going to need to bank some extra hours on the weekend or evenings when John is still working.

Anyways, I guess the "theme" of this post is that it takes some time when you get to a new place to get used to a new routine and living in the new place altogether. JB's mentor in Minnesota told him that you should give yourselves 4-6 months when moving to a new place to see if things are working and to feel comfortable with how things are going. So I'm not even into the one month mark yet. I have time.

I'll keep trying to find "comfortable".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wen, I totally know what you mean. I still fill like a "tourist" and sometimes feel guilty for just coming home from work instead of going out, exploring, etc. But this is my HOME! I will be here for years! Kate told me it took her about 6 months too-- so I think that that estimate of "time to be quite adjusted" is probably right on. Don't we wish it could be faster, though! Good luck! I am "trying to find a groove" with you :).
One advantage I've found to being on the W coast.... you often have a blog waiting for me to read over breakfast :)
<3 Tara

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Tara, I love your comments ... And I also like to pick on you!!!

So what advantage do I have for staying in the CST ...

Wendi

Anonymous said...

Hey, I too, can relate to how you're feeling... actually today is the first day that I've been home and not cleaning/painting/unpacking/getting ready for guests. Our company is out for a few hours, and I opted to stay home and chill with Keenan. The question is though, "what do Keenan and I Do here in a day in Florida?" We're not sure yet. =)
Just to let you know, here in Valparaiso, our "cold" water is also not cold! I'm glad we have an ice machine!

AW said...

Wendi, I call it finding a "new normal". There are some things in life (moving, marriage, infertility, death, pregnancy loss) that alter you so drastically, that sometimes it's easier to just find little things to incorporate into your day that help establish some familiarity. It looks like you're doing that with your schedule. And seriously...the changes you're experiencing right now (moving, infertility, adoption, spouse with a new job) are all things challenging in and of themselves. How you're handling ALL of that so gracefully is absolutely beyond me! So go easy on yourself. It's only been a few weeks...but you seem to be in the right direction!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Joia, I think THAT is what I am getting at. What DO I do here?!?! I'm not sure ....

Anonymous said...

I have heard that moving is one of the big stresses in life. You are a great adapter Wen-you'll do it! I guess you don't remember that our water here has always been warm....I am always amazed when we're up north and the cold water is really cold. Everything is warmer in FL.

Anonymous said...

Hey Flaky Person!

Why don't you come up to Bowling Green on October 12th and 13th to run the 10k with me. For old times sake!!!!

Josh

Gabbs said...

Perhaps it didn't take that long to feel like your condo was home because you had already lived in the area for a year, and you had friends and routines, etc?? Just a thought.

Perhaps we should move up there to help you feel more comfy! =)

Gabbs said...

Advantage for CST.....all the shows come on an hour earlier than EST!!!!