Friday, June 29, 2007

It's official!!!

I am officially a Florida resident!!! And what's better, the DMV didn't cause me to hyperventilate.

I have had the opportunity to experience the DMV in a few different cities. Here is a quick summary:

Fort Lauderdale: The worst of them yet. There's a room for English speakers and a room for Spanish speakers. People are yelling and screaming. It can take all day just to get a license. The thought of having to go to the DMV causes me to get an upset stomach. Am I right Fort Lauderdalians?

Frankin, Kentucky: There isn't actually a DMV here. You walk into the courthouse and get your license. It will take only a matter of minutes as long as no one has to register a tractor or a missing cow for the day. Every thing is done at one window!

Rochester: Not my idea of a good time. Long lines and too few people working. Was cut in line by a 70-year-old woman after waiting for over an hour and almost lost my cool. I also failed the written driving test the first time because I didn't know how much alcohol was in vodka, because I gave a bike too much room on the road, and because I wasn't sure what to do when I was behind a snow plow.

Eglin AFB: An awesome experience. Every Friday, the DMV sets up shop on base. We walked in, took our photos, and were on our way. There was no line. There was no written test. There was no yelling. There was no line cutting. He also took my picture a second time when the first one didn't come out so well.

So it's official, I can now vote in the state of Florida, drive legally in the state of Florida, donate my organs in the state of Florida, and not pay income tax in the state of Florida. Go Wendi (and JB -- he got his too!)

No comments: