Friday, November 10, 2006

Wendi reporting in

So here I am, back at my blog. JB did a great job recapping everything that happened yesterday. It was a long day, but a very restful and peaceful day. My goal, from the moment I left for acupuncture, was to stay relaxed and at peace, and the Lord blessed me with just that.

During my 9:30 acupuncture appointment, he puts the needles in the correct places, and then leaves for 25 minutes. It was then that I started the relaxation segment of my Nanopod that JB made for me. It is a mix of relaxation music, relaxation imagery, and passive muscle relaxation. The music is great when my mind is quiet. When I need to quiet my mind down, I would put on the imagery and passive muscle selection. These talk you through helping your body to relax and distract you enough to get rid of any worrisome thoughts. In between this and during this, I prayed a lot too.

Our taxidriver Ebby picked us up from acupuncture and took us to the hospital. Being as this was fourth time I have been on this same outpatient floor, I was a little unnerved when they brought us to a room for multiple patients. The TV was on loud, it was very bright, and there were not beds, only lounge chairs for the patients. However, I think I did a great job not worrying about it, even when the nurse told me that it was so busy that I might have to spend my hour on bed rest following the procedure on a cart in the hall. I was determined to stay relaxed and not get worried.

JB said they woke me up to give me my Valium. That I don't recall, but I do remember having to be shook awake after taking that pill when a nurse came by to prick my finger. I couldn't figure this out. This had never happened before, but I, fairly woozy, complied. A little while later another nurse emerged telling me what my blood sugar was and asking me if I needed some juice or something. What? "I'm not diabetic," I repeated for the ump-teenth time. Yet again, they had seen my medication list, which included Metformin (a diabetic drug), and assumed I was a diabetic. The nurse apologized for the unnecessary finger prick and left me to sleep again.

A little while after that I was woken up again. The nurse told me that a room had opened up, and I could have it! I was thrilled. I changed rooms and emptied my bladder again even though I wasn't supposed to. It was only 11:30, and I just wasn't thinking I could wait three hours. During this time, my feet cramps did start to return. JB did a great job trying to work them out of my feet. We are pretty convinced that, for whatever reason, it is the Valium that is causing these to come on so strongly. Both times I have been on the Valium, I have been struck with them.

Once in the pre-op area, I completely konked out again. I went from "breathing in and out" with my CD to hearing some sort of opera music and having a nurse standing over me once again asking me to spell my name. I told JB I was going to refuse to spell my name all day! You see, you get asked, about 10 times, to please spell your full name (our last name is long) and tell them your birthday. Then you are supposed to tell them what they are going to be doing that day. I know it is for safety measures, but it does get a little humorous. I also remember having trouble spelling or remembering what they were doing while "under the influence."

While I slept over an hour in the pre-op area, poor JB was left to sit there, with no book, no one to talk to. I thought it had only been a few minutes, but apparently, it had been enough to really leave him bored.

The procedure itself was a BREEZE. And, my bladder was full enough. (But not full that I was going crazy having to go to the bathroom.) It went so wonderfully smooth with very little pain at all. The embryologist came out and told us that our two sticky babies were doing very well. She said the third embryo was doing just "okay". I will have to call and see if the little guy/gal pulled through. If not, we will have a total of ten stick babies waiting.

I did get a cramp in the middle of the procedure, but one of the nice nurses helped me work it out. It really wasn't a big deal. The hardest part of the procedure this time was, well, honestly, being so exposed with so many people coming in and out. But as I told everyone, I have come to terms with my nudity. I have given up worrying who sees me naked. I am long past that.

After the procedure, I, surprise, fell asleep again. An hour later, it was time to go. I changed clothes and Dr. H. came to see me. As JB mentioned briefly yesterday, they are doing a study, and she wanted to know if I wanted to be in the study. Basically, if my pregnancy test is positive, I will do seven blood draws and seven ultrasounds during the first month of my pregnancy. This is a lot, but we think it will be pretty cool to get seven free ultrasounds.

Dr. H. asking me to be in the study also reminded me that they do believe I can and may be pregnant in two weeks. I do believe that too. I am refusing to let myself get sad or worried during the next two weeks. What is the point? Instead I am going to trust God for a healthy pregnancy and go on about my merry way. I can control nothing so I will not attempt to control anything. It's a refreshing outlook after two previous attempts filled with sheer frustration.

Ebby picked us up from there and brought me back to acupuncture and then back to our house where I spent the evening chilling on the couch, watching Survivor and a few other shows that meant nothing to me ... just trying to stay down and relaxed.

As I sit at my computer this morning and look out the window, I am seeing the start of what is supposd to be up to 4" of snow today. 4" of snow after 78 degree temperatures just two days ago. Go figure.

Also, if you think of it, please pray for my friend Joanna who gets her pregnancy test (we call them "BETAS") back today after her transfer. Can't wait for the good news Joanna!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad that things went so well, wendi! i had a patient yesterday ask me if i was going to cement his gold crown with super glue...i almost laughed out loud! I told him that there are many good uses for super glue, but putting crowns in people's mouths is not one of them. Meanwhile all I could think about was sticky babies...

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Yeah, and you know, putting it in my uterus might be considered foolish as well. But I would be willing to try it!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're comfortable with your nudity...but please don't start walking around naked. That's just gross. Seriously though, I'm glad it went well. I knew it would.

Justin

Tara said...

Everything sounds great! I hope the next week or so is a breeze for you. I look forward to your positive beta!

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendi!
Just wanted to tell you I've been praying for you and JB a lot. I'm glad to hear that things are going well.
Meredith