Thursday, January 05, 2017

Kitchen makeover

I've always wanted an old house, so when we bought our 1919 farmhouse two years ago, I was ecstatic. Older homes have so much character and charm. It's unfortunate that nowadays new construction has lost a lot of quality, durability of materials, and ornamental details. On the other hand, it is also true that with old homes come old trends, dated spaces and let's face it... repairs. This was my house. A place with good bones and good potential. Also, a place that needed work. Lucky for me, my husband is pretty handy and we enjoy tackling projects together. Especially those where I come up with the "cool ideas" and he does the dirty work. Ha! So, we were up for the challenge!

Let me share with you what we did in our kitchen. For me, the kitchen is the heart and soul of a home. It's the place where your family and friends gather to share conversations and food, and it is also a good space to upgrade to increase the value of your home.

On the bottom floor of the house, the floor plan is open. The living room and the kitchen communicate with each other, so I wanted the kitchen to flow with the overall style and finishes of the living room. The trim work in the whole house was white, as well as the built-in china cabinet in the kitchen. After thinking about it for a while, these are the colors and materials I decided to go for!
In a process of two years, little by little, we had the cabinets painted, counter top replaced, back-splash installed, and added a new farm sink and hardware.

This is what our house looked like when we bought the house: green granite countertops, maple cabinets, no backsplash and green painted walls:


This is how is looks now: white cabinets with light grey island, white subway tile with grey grout backsplash, white double-bowl farm sink, ibiza quart countertop, and antique brass hardware for a bit of punch!





I love my new kitchen! If you think you can't transform your kitchen...think again! Decide what your adorable, dream kitchen is. Make a mood board to visualize all the elements in your project. Set a budget and get it done at your own pace. You can make it happen!

                            Happy 2017!

                                        Love,

                                                 Angelica

No comments: