Friday, March 09, 2007

Posts are short ...

My posts are short lately mainly because so is my sleep. I have tried to refrain from commenting about my sleep either verbally or with the written word on my blog ... mainly because I am so frustrated that writing or talking about it makes me more frustrated. I also feel like other people are sick of hearing about it as well. So I've just tried to go about my days normally. But it isn't working.

I am still not sleeping. I am done with the progesterone medication, but my sleep has not returned. If I take an Ambien, I sleep, and I sleep very well. But anytime I do not take one, I sleep only three or four hours in fifteen to twenty minute segments. I never actually get into a deep sleep. Or if I do get into a deep sleep, it is only for three or four hours and then I am up the rest of the time.

I try to not get frustrated. I try to be patient. I am not napping so that my sleep is not thrown off. I am not watching TV or getting on the computer before bed.

I have been trying not to take the Ambien every night, hoping to find the "minimal" dose for me. But it appears the minimal dose is going to half to be every night for awhile. This should make things better.

You know, I work for the RLS Foundation. Restless legs syndrome is a sleep disorder that causes people to be unable to sleep due to the need to move their legs repeatedly. I have such a new-found respect for people who cannot sleep.

Thanks for listening to me complain. I won't be talking about this too much more on the blog, as, like I said, the best thing I can do is be positive and not complain. The complaints do not help.

But I needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Wendi,

I've been having sleep problems myself lately. I can't seem to get to sleep, then when I do I keep waking up for some reason and then find it hard to get back to sleep. I'm good with a Tylenol PM ... but I'm trying to not take it.

Anyhow ... just wanted to let you know that you contributed to my insomnia the other night. I had forgotten to check the front door before heading upstairs to bed. The back door and the garage ... yes ... the front door ... no. I knew it was locked ... my dh always locks it and I just check it. But I didn't check it. So I decided to not bother with it. Then just as I was 'finally' drifting off I heard a noise. Logically, I knew it was the cat running up the stairs ... but in my minds eye ... I could only see a man at the end of the bed holding a little girls teddy bear. I got up checked the door ... it was locked and I headed back to bed ... where I kept thinking about your story with the man at the end of the bed holding a teddy bear.

No offense but I had to lengthen your story in my mind so that I can finally fall asleep ... 'and then she woke up and it was just a dream'.

Hope you get some good sleep tonight!!!

HP Amber

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Don't know how you function with little sleep like that. I'd be the scariest person w/o my REM sleep :) I'll be praying for better (restful) night's sleep ahead. And there's nothing wrong with complaining...I think feeling tired is one of life's very legitimate complaints...so complain away, my friend. I sympathize with you...
Hugs, Kel

AW said...

Wendi,

You might have already tried this, but you can buy Melatonin in the vitamin/mineral aisle as your local grocery. It's a naturally produced chemical in our body, but under stress or chemistry changes, we don't produce enough to sleep well. I would take a pill about an hour before I wanted to sleep. I did it every night until my body finally found a healthy sleep cycle. You might ask your doctor about it first, considering your condition, but it worked for me after about a week.

Andi

Anonymous said...

Sanjaya

Wendi:

Every morning I check your blog to see what is going on in this world...since I don't have a life.

I am terribly disappointed that you have not written about the results from last nights American Idol. I am going to assume that you just haven't watched last night's show. That you taped it and watched Survivor instead.

Therefore, I will not tell you who was voted off or for that matter who was left on for the final 12. I will refrain from telling you the results. I do respectfully request that you hury up and watch the show and post your comments. Get on it chicky!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Amber -- you made me smile! :) And Funky, hubby says he's been contemplating adding this to my regimen ...