Friday, January 06, 2006

JB is really into cooking

Well, most of you know that JB is into cooking. However, I am not sure if you are aware HOW into cooking he really is. Okay, maybe you do realize this, however, I needed a blog topic and this seemed like a good one, so just pretend that you didn't realize it, okay? Geeeeeez.

Good evidence of how into cooking my awesome husband is, is evidenced by the number of cookbooks on our counter. Previous visitors to Rochester Towers 202 may not remember seeing any cookbooks on our counter. That recollection would be accurate. However, after Christmas this year, the cookbooks, which were previously stored in a cabinet, became too numerous for their previous home, and JB convinced me that they needed to move into a more accessible area.


Now I cannot complain too much about the number of cookbooks JB received from Christmas because me, his wonderful wife, gave him SEVEN of them. Now how stupid is that? I complain about being runover by books (non-cooking books as well), and I buy seven. Now to make this an even more stupid purchase, I purchased ALL hardcover books! Can you believe it? BIG hardcover books. Wait, it gets worse! I purchased these in Florida. That meant that these books had to make the journey back to The Polar North.

Diligent blog readers may recall my dismay that this year would be the first year we would have to SHIP a box (much to my mother's delight -- this is her suggestion every year to which JB happily nods away in agreement). However, I happily report to you that once again, we pulled it off without paying a dime! Frugal Wendi was very happy about that. How did we do it? Well, since the airlines are so frugal with their weight allowance for checked baggage, we decided to make the heavy bags the ones we carried onto the plane. This became a little comical when we found out we were on a tiny plane into Minneapolis. The airline will happily take your bigger bags into the area with strollers and baby seats and all those other good things. And, there is no weight limit! However, you should have seen the poor guy trying to get our bag of books off the belt to us! Oh my gosh! I felt bad -- but hey, I have saved like 50 bucks in postage so I didn't feel too badly.

This heavy suitcase on wheels didn't actually fare so well on the first plane either! We actually had to stop and take a book out of it to get it to be compact enough to fit in the overhead bin! However, did I mention that we saved 50 bucks!?!

Speaking of books, I really am not sure how many books JB received for Christmas, but we think the number was in the double digits and started with a 2. In addition, his brothers and sisters basically threw a party to return all the books they had borrowed from him in past years. One day into our vacation and we have accumulated like seven old books I thought we were rid of forever.

I presently have no idea what we are going to do when we move again. Sarah Huisman is witness that when we left Kentucky we needed a truck that was so big, it beeped when it backed up! How ridiculous is that. I am like the anti-pack-rat too. Then I realized! It was books. The whole truck was packed with books. (JB, when you read this, please know I am being a tad bit facetious for the pleasure of my faithful readers.) But, for real, he has a stinkin' lot of books.

And he likes to cook. I got off track, but if you have read this far ... thanks!



No comments: