Monday, January 15, 2018

We Bought a Farm: A fit over a fridge

If you could have been a fly on the wall on my farm today you may have seen me throwing a fit in the garage. Another one of our fridge/freezers had broken. I had been soooo close to having enough space to really organize our meat products and then KABOOM another one went down for the count.

(We have nine freezers on the property. Hard to believe but true. And one going down means so much adjusting. So much change.)

Change. Key word here. Stay with me on this.

I called my husband fairly hysterical. "Is this really about a freezer?" He asked.

I sat in the front seat of his big pick-up truck sobbing. No, it wasn't completely about the freezer. It was about freezing temperatures and his bad back and a huge farm and how I didn't think I was capable and how bad I am about things not going the way I had planned.

My loving husband talked me down off a cliff. I got off the phone, put our big truck in reverse, and backed up right into our camper.

Not joking.

Completely true story.

The good news is, after calling my in-laws in near-hysterics, they came rushing to my rescue. The camper was fine and the truck was not damaged badly. The light that popped off went back on and everything appeared to still be shining properly.

I had a truck full of feed and hay to unload, my kids hadn't been fed, and I needed to get back on the road to take Abigail to ballet. Sweet Mary fed the kids lunch. Sweet Ray worked on the truck. While their crazy daughter-in-law ...

took a shower.

and a short nap.

I'm not sure I have completely dissected all the emotions that made me lose my ever-living-mind in the garage today, but what I do know is that while farming is hard, it isn't the farming that's the problem.

It's life.

I mean, life isn't a problem, but chances are you lost your mind in the last few months about something as well. We all have our own version of crazy.

Wherever you are in your story of crazy, remember that you aren't alone. Someone like me may look like I have it altogether and like I am juggling a lot of balls fairly seamlessly. But you aren't in my garage today. You didn't see me possibly kick a big white appliance.

Things are tough. You are NOT alone.

Stay strong.

3 comments:

Kimberly Keiter said...

Oh yes I can very much relate, with a whole lotta seeking forgiveness after my fits!

Anonymous said...

This post really resonated with me today. Really.
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I needed this! Thank you